Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,105   Online: 863

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wooden film holder: neoprene instead of felt?

I'm making a wooden film holder atm.
    When looking for some nice felt (filt?) to glue where the dark slide goes in, I stumbled on 1.5mm thick black neoprene. It looks dense enough to function as a light trap.
    It looks useable to me as it won't get worn as quickly and will not keep dust.

Has anyone already tried this?

G
    Last edited by argus; 04-05-2005 at 07:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know about that. I have some really old filmholders with perfectly good felt light traps and things made of neoprene that have started to crumble in less than five years. I don't know if neoprene lasts longer in the dark, so that might be a consideration. I think felt might be a better choice in case of high humidity, when neoprene might cause the darkslide to get stuck on the way in or out.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think felt might be a better choice in case of high humidity, when neoprene might cause the darkslide to get stuck on the way in or out.
    You have got a point there.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Argus,
    Many of the older holders(poetic, Yes?) used velvet for the light trap material. You can purchase velvet ribbon by the yard at fabric shops.
    Also it is available in different widths.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Argus,

12 month ago I decided to try neoprene as a lightseal in my Kiev back (old type) - I cut a strip of 0,5mm thick foam to size, installed it, inserted the darkslide and let it rest for a week. After that the foam adapted to the slide and sealed the slot tightly.

It worked very fine, better than the original Kiev/Hasselblad seals with foam and mylar foil - until last week. I lost a whole roll due to a light leak, the neoprene shrunk lengthwise and opened a tiny leak, just enough to fog the negative diagonal. :-(

I remember when I cut the stuff that I wanted to check the seal after 12 months... I didn´t, and I paid for it. <g>
    Tschüss,
    Roman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin