Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,742   Posts: 1,670,466   Online: 654

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus xa Shutter

I have one of these that fires at what sounds like the same shutter speed wherever the needle is pointing. Sold to me as fully working which I took with a pinch of salt as it was at a car boot. Can this be fixed? Tried new silver oxide batteries.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Test roll, f/2.8-f/22.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do you have it on Flash mode? If so, it is normal.
    To test shutter use different ISO and apertures in to the light and in the dark. No film needed.
    Mine went to one speed only after couple of years of daily use and travel. Some theoretics told me it is fixable by sending it to repair and paying camera price just on shipping costs.
    But I practically put it on recycle.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Once in a while it will fire 1 second when the needle is pointing at that figure, etc, but hardly ever works. It is easy to distinguish the 1/2 and 1 second speeds from its default fast click that it is stuck on. I suppose that if I knew the speed it fires on I could use it.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe the original XA has two meters, one for the shutter and one for the display (no, I have no idea why). What it means is that the shutter actuation speed bears no relationship to the displayed speed unless both meters are working properly.

A repair manual is available here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
    and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
    -
    http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that, 02

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    It is easy enough to open the back and fire, looking at the rear part of the lens, pointing to different sources of light. You WILL see a profound difference in timing if your light sources are very different. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin