Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,740   Posts: 1,670,461   Online: 645

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sick Meter in FTN

I've got a couple of Nikon FTN Photomic cameras. One with batteries works fine. The other has a dead meter. I mean deader than 4 o'clock. New batteries and the needle don't move. Ideas as to where the problem may lie? Something I can fix, perhaps?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    corroded wire, bad meter switch?
    If the battery corroded at one time, the wire from the battery to the board may have internal corrosion.
    Switch may be tarnished contacts,
    Beyond that, meter cells, poor contact with wiper.

IF(!) I remember right there's a brass screw under the leatherette on top and four at the bottom, maybe covered with foam.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The battery compartment is clean as a whistle. Meter cells are a probability. It seems many moons ago I tore down another FTN meter and cleaned the resistor ring on one that was reading erratic and that fixed that problem. with this one not even moving the needle I wasn't sure where to start. My little jeweler's screwdrivers have hid themselves somewhere here or I'd take it apart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found an interesting sketch. I don't recall having to take the leather off the top of the meter on the one I worked on some 25 years ago but I've forgotten a lot of things from that time.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/ftn-1.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had trouble with both the drum resistor and the switch contacts. A little cleaning with electronic cleaner seems to work most of the time. Worth a try, if you find your screwdrivers.
    ColColt - useful sketch. Thanks!

Oh, forgot one thing. The spring at the bottom of the battery compartment. Rotate it out and clean the end of the spring and the metal it sits on. I've had this work too, even when there's no visible corrosion. We're talking very low voltage here - can't get through much dirt or corrosion.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's another sketch that may help someone.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/ftn-2.gif

That's a good idea about taking the battery spring out...never thought about that since it all looked good.

I'm beginning to look at the Gossen DigiPro F2 meter as a digital backup. Anyone with experience on this meter?
    Last edited by ColColt; 07-19-2015 at 10:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin