Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 679

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the camera side of the adapter frame. To ensure light-tight corners, the top half of the joints are lapped, and the bottom half mitred.

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

GaussianNoise: I have already tried 1/2" 11ply, it's not stiff enough when you fit it to the body, cut the rebate and cut-out the film gate. It works fine for reducer backs but not to full size 8X10. Maybe with a bail opener it could work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz
    Hi there,

GaussianNoise: I have already tried 1/2" 11ply, it's not stiff enough when you fit it to the body, cut the rebate and cut-out the film gate. It works fine for reducer backs but not to full size 8X10. Maybe with a bail opener it could work.
    Wow...thanks for the info. That'll save me another round of "learning from my mistakes".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

GaussianNoise: Thank you, I'm glad it's a help.

Ole: springs are easy to make from a saw blade, to bend the ends heat it to a dark cherry red and turn over with needle nose pliers. The full circle is a bear, just bend it around two bolts in a vice.

Everyone, do you want a secret? Good.

Go to hardware store, household goods, cooking and find a slab of polished marble for making candies and confections. Mine is 12" X 18" X 1/2" and perfectly flat, it's a surface plate. Works very well for clamping the pieces of the back and ground-glass frame to be sure there is no twist.

If you go to the flooring dept. they have 12X18 sheets of adhesive sandpaper to put on one side, 80 grit is fine. Now it's non-skid and you can use it to flatten anything.

Have fun with it.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ole: springs are easy to make from a saw blade, to bend the ends heat it to a dark cherry red and turn over with needle nose pliers. The full circle is a bear, just bend it around two bolts in a vice.
    I was just beginning to think along those lines myself - setting up a small forge in the garden for making the springs myself. I could even harden and temper them
    I don't think saw blades are the best thing to start with, with the correct tempering almost any steel will do. They don't have to be springy to start with, and it wold be nice not to have serrated springs

Everyone, do you want a secret? Good.

Go to hardware store, household goods, cooking and find a slab of polished marble for making candies and confections. Mine is 12" X 18" X 1/2" and perfectly flat, it's a surface plate. Works very well for clamping the pieces of the back and ground-glass frame to be sure there is no twist.

If you go to the flooring dept. they have 12X18 sheets of adhesive sandpaper to put on one side, 80 grit is fine. Now it's non-skid and you can use it to flatten anything.

Have fun with it.
    Yup. I have a few slabs of serpentinite left over from the bathroom. Unlike marble they are totally non-absorbent and heat and acid resistant too!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On getting back home I dug out the "Build Your Own Large Format Camera" book (leaflet) by fellow Norwegian Jon Grepstad.

He suggests making springs from drain cleaners - the long spring things! I think I'll have to buy a new one - mine is used...
    Norway

Images
    I bought some back parts years ago from Calumet as replacement parts for some camera. You might try this angle. Maybe Keith Canham would sell you springs. Is there a camera manufacturer on your side?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, the springs can be made from saw blades the best are those that are on a metal cutting band saw...so if you have a machine shop nearby arrange to pick up their worn blades. The serrations can be ground off.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Ole,

was just drifting around ebay and saw 2 variations that may be interesting;

Item number: 7516007024

Item number: 7516004429

just a thought.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    phfitz,

I'm drooling. But I already have one very old and very large plate camera, and have just got a slightly newer "modern" camera in parts. So now I have a modern 8x10" back to use as a pattern to make another for a different camera - I think I'm getting closer!

Drain cleaners still look like the best springs
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin