Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,608   Online: 1135

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey guys, not just any steel will temper and make springs, you need a high carbon content for the best springs. The raw spring stock can be purchased fro Brownells gun smithing site or catelog. For camera back type springs, you can use a propane torch for a heat source. Simply keep it moving while bringing up to non magnetic red, then bend and cool slowly, or quench it in ambient temp. water then reheat to straw to temper for a working spring.
    Cooling slowly will be the same as annealing, quinching will make it too hard
    and will have to be slightly tempered. Do it in a shaded area (out of bright sun light) where you can see the color changes of the steel.

Brownells spring stock is soft enough to file or cut with a jewlers or hack saw.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Spring this

On the 4x5 camera I built, the plans called for using the spring metal off the back of the rubber on windshield wipers. I found an old set at the gas station and they were springy and easily bent into shape. However the tight tolerances seemed out of my league for the groundglass and back, so I ended up stealing the grafloc back off a press camera and away I went.

Contact me if you want more info.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried piano wire for the springs? I was thinking of using them but still trying to find a source.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nice work Ralph. And the photography of it is excellent as well. Huzzah!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canuck,
    The local hobby emporium should have music wire in 3' lengths x whatever diameter you want up to about 1/8".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Has anyone tried piano wire for the springs?"

Yup. Used piano wire on my last camera and it worked MUCH better than flat springs but you have to run the GG frame in some kind of guide because the round wire springs will bend in any direction.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mac
    On the 4x5 camera I built, the plans called for using the spring metal off the back of the rubber on windshield wipers. I found an old set at the gas station and they were springy and easily bent into shape. However the tight tolerances seemed out of my league for the groundglass and back, so I ended up stealing the grafloc back off a press camera and away I went.

Contact me if you want more info.

Eric
    Hi Eric: What plans are you referring to? I thought I had all the camera plans ever published. I might have missed one.

Thanks

Barry Young
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin