Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,272   Online: 831

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay, I've done a little better this time. I looked at an online photo of a Tachihara for reference BTW. After looking at the hardware on it, I got to thinking that the fittings look an awful lot like window hardware, expensive casement and roll-out windows, specifically. Look at some of the stuff offerred by this place:

http://www.knobsknockers.com/window_fittings.htm

Several pieces in there look like good matches for camera hardware. Some of the fittings don't look like anything that would be used in anything else because it is too specialized. I noticed several Indian companies which stated that they can make any piece you wany in small orders, so maybe those pieces you could get from them.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format

but then again...

But then again when you see fancy hardware like this camera has, it makes you want to custom make your own.

Check it out....

http://www.mottweilerstudio.com/html.../camera_9.html

or this one?

http://www.mottweilerstudio.com/html.../camera_8.html

Beautiful workmanship?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Check out casement and awning window hardware as well as wooden box 'holder-uppers' at a hardware store.

I bought a couple slotted angle brackets that were brass plated for standards but they were only tall enough for4x5, not 8x10. One problem is you still end up with Frankenstein look, having selected different style parts from six different companies - no design continuity.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Oops, I commented on window parts too not having seen the previous reference.

I looked at the knobsknockers site (hmmm...disappointing, no actually, nice stuff!)

I bould a similar straight version of the 704PB at a local hardware store. I could not envision what purpose the curved (as in 704PB) one woul serve for a view camera, unless you wanted rise and tilt without being able to control them individually!

I avoided the ones with the fixed incremental stops and chose a fully slotted frictional clamping one.

Murray

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    http://www.pathcom.com/~vhchan/

This guy is heavily into photography, optics, cnc hobby built machine tools, and has a picture of his homemade CNC mill making a brass camera part.

I don't know if he can be talked into custom parts, but's it worth a site visit.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    OK, If I see enough interest to warrant a run of anything, I will make it. The problem is that one guy who wants one knob for a camera that is rare beyond belief is appalled at the cost. If you want something for an unusual camera, please consider that the machinist has to do the research, order the material (there is always a minumum, so it costs maybe $100 to get the bar of unobtanium metal you need your knob made of. Then he has to match the knurling tool, another $50 and an hour and a half at the tool company. Then he has to set up his machines for one knob. One that he will never make again as long as the sun shines. When you see the hardware at Lowes and a similar knob (well really it is a plumbing fixture) sells for a quarter of a dollar you start thinking the guy hosed you. Well, not really. How much time was spent in communications? How many people bought the gizmo at Lowes? How much time did the manufacturer spend per part on research? Anyway, before I talk myself out of this, tell me if you need some parts, but if they are for something only you have, please expect sticker shock. If they are something common, maybe not so much. An example is due. I was making a bunch of screws for obsolete hand woodworking tools made by a company whose name begins with S. These were special screws for their long obsolete #55 hand plane. Impossible to find anywhere because the manufacturer used a special pitch screw so you would have to buy from them. Well, I made a couple hundred of the unobtaianable screws. The first tool dealer I talked to bought them all at $2 each and complained for hours about the price. At the next tool show, I saw him sell the last of them at $8 each. When he turned to me and asked for more, I said "Gee John, if you hadn't complained so loudly about how I was screwing you, I would be happy to fill your order". Anybody need any special parts?

Barry Young
    barryjyoung@yahoo.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    OK, If I see enough interest to warrant a run of anything, I will make it....

Barry Young
    barryjyoung@yahoo.com
    Hi Barry,

I'm still interested in obtaining some brass knurled knobs in various sizes. I'd be willing to purchase several sets sufficient for a number of view cameras. I don't really have any concern about the style of the knobs if someone else requested a specific clone to a common camera.

I'd take either diamond or straight knurled pieces. I would like the various sizes to have shoulders with set screws so that I could attach them easily to shafts. If you have a Reid Tool catalog I'd be looking for something like their SKA series only with a set screw instead of a pin. I'd also go for something like the KKT knurled knob series and would even settle for brass knurled blanks without the tapped or reamed holes since I could always do those operations myself (although I'd prefer not to). These items from Reid are adequate but I'm looking for brass knobs, not stainless , steel, or nickel-plated, etc. I want to use them with a dark walnut camera and I think brass would look best.

If anyone else puts in a request for knobs please let me know what you'll be making for them and chances are I can make it work for me as well.

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow so will be out of touch until the 15th, so if you don't hear from me again until then, don't think I've lost interest.

Thanks,

Joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I will, and thanks for understanding about my ranting and raving. Hey, sometimes it lowers the price.

Thank you

Barry Young

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Nor sure about usefulness for cameras yet, but dollhouse miniature hardware came up on a search once and it gave me an idea to check out a store someday. But I don't care how unconventional my projects look.
    Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Seattle Camera Makers are moving ahead. I will be making the knobs for the focus rods within a month. So, what is it you need? If I am already set up, it is pretty cheap to knock out another set of something. I am planning on making some extras for myself and at least one other member who is planning a whopping 12x20 camera after he finishes his 8x10. Please email me with whatever it is you are looking for and we will see what we can do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin