Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,896   Online: 952

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the update Jim, was thinking if I can't find any this would be the next step. Might have to send you a couple of PM's if I get stuck though.....

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Hobknobbing with Barry Young. Knob making in person

Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Thanks for the explaination, Barry. Now we have to schedule time for you to show how in person and we can make lots of knobs for our cameras.

Steve

How is the weekend of August 27-28 for everyone? I am free then and should have made some sort of progress on my workshop by then. I got some really cheesy cabinets installed this weekend with the help of my lovely daughter Julia. About 1/3 of the mound left over from moving is now put away. I will whip the rest into shape by this weekend. Once that is done, we can start some serious camera building. The lathe is repaired. It was broken during the move and now works OK. I need to make one handwheel for the cross slide before we do much knobhobbing because the tiny handwheels that come with such a small lathe are misery to use. I will also have that done by the weekend of the 27th -28th. If this is a bad weekend, please let me know and we can schedule another.

Barry Young

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Murray@uptowngallery]

Machining question: How hard is threading things with weird camera threads, like retaining nuts for shutters, etc. I have another weird one, a lens with 95 mm thread but coarse pitch, so available accessories only go on one thread...it's visibly different. (Custom lens so not gonna find another source probably).

weird camera threads? Um, threads are threads, Either metric or inch. To the best of my limited knowledge cameras either use module threads for metric or standard 60 degree sharp V inch pattern threads. . On the 95mm thread, what is the pitch specifically and do you need to match an internal or an external thread? For small threads like you mentioned, watchmakers use a die plate for threading rods and tiny 2 flute cut taps and sturdier roll taps for threading holes. They are amazingly inexpensive. The trick is to measure accurately so that you buy the correct one.

With a lathe any of these are possible, as long as you have a 127 tooth translating gear, you can turn metric or inch threads on the same lathe. My evil hidden goal is to get every one of you to buy a lathe. Not because I benefit from lathe sales, but because I want to see these skills passed on to a video game generation.

Barry Young

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    weird camera threads? Um, threads are threads, Either metric or inch. To the best of my limited knowledge cameras either use module threads for metric or standard 60 degree sharp V inch pattern threads...
    Not quite... There have been many "weird threads" used through the years, like the 40 degree threads on the big Compound shutters. They're often quoted as 29 tpi, but that's not absolutely correct. See "Bottom feeder's guide to German lenses" in the articles for specifications
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin