Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,814   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

How do I paint brass black?

I am starting my summer project. I have a J.H Dallmeyer Radip Rectilinear lens, Patent(US) date June 30, 1868, marked 21x25. I have tested, and my research agreed, that its focal lenght is 33 inches. I am plannning a falling plate 20x24 box (OK, crate) camera. I will start with paper negs, and I forsee with practice moving to film on down the road, as design changes and money afford.

I have the shim stock in hand that I will be fashioning my waterhouse stops out of. I will be using standard drill bits sizes for my holes from 2 inch down to 1/64, which will give me working appertures from f16.5 to f1052.

The question of the day is how do I paint brass black? I am looking for a process, or paint that will adhere to the brass shim stock after they are cut to size. I have a feeling that the smooth shiny surface would resist a normal paint. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Patrick Pitzer
    Boone, NC
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure that any anti corrosion coatings have been removed from the brass stock, I normally use a very fine steel wool to remove the coatings, this will also burnish the surface of the brass for coating with the paint, I use a flat black stove paint, coat one side and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 225 degree's, let is set over night, then coat the other side and repeat the baking process, this normally gives a pretty good durable coat of black paint.

Good luck

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of our sponsors, Bryant Labs is also a producer of metal patina chemicals. Many of these will give you interesting colors on brass, and of course the standard black. Support a sponsor and call and find out what color you whight want your brass to be. They also carry a laquer that works well to protect the finish.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or gaffer tape

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format

Blackening brass

For photographic purposes brass is usually blackened rather than painted. Paint does not adhere well to brass and tends to flake off. Make sure that the brass is clean and free from oil or grease. Even the oil from your finders will prevent good blackening. Rubbing with 000 steel wool will remove any oxidation. The blackening agent is a 10 - 20% sodium polysulfide solution.

Jerry

Images
    I have tested many spray flat black paints. By far, the blackest one I have found is Krylon's Ultra Flat Black. A little hard to find. With the right primer, it will stick to most anything. Email Krylon for primer advice.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can buy a brass blacker in most gunshops. This works very well for waterhouse stops.

How about a picture of your monster lens?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    ... The blackening agent is a 10 - 20% sodium polysulfide solution...
    You mean - Viradon???
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Let Leica do it. They did a nice job on my Millennium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin