Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,937   Posts: 1,557,265   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Ralph, though most of my printing is done via contact prints and I am primarily shooting 8x10 these days. I order my film and supplies online as opposed to having the local camera store order it for me (they don't have anything larger than 4x5 (filmwise) in the store anymore).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I can understand why you feel that way about 4x5. I shot my first 4x5 slides recently and looked at the result and thought, "Cute, but small." Seems that I never think that way when doing B&W, even when contact printing. Part of it could depend on what you're going to do with it.
    I used to shoot 5x7 and love the size. Had a monorail B&J and a car, so it travelled a bit. If you're going to carry the thing outside at all away from your vehicle, size issues will play a HUGE role.
    If you haven't played with 4x5 much yet, then enjoy it first! It changed everything about the way I shoot. I worked on 4x5 for about 5-6 months before I dusted off the 5x7 and put it to use. Making FNG mistakes is a lot cheaper - like the time I went to a Shuttle launch with the film loaded in backwards. Remember, I said cheaper, not less of a heartbreak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that you'll be using smaller f-stops with the 8x10 than the 4x5. As such, you'll need to use longer exposures and subject movement can become a real problem. Plus rigidity becomes a much bigger issue. You'll need a *very* sturdy camera head and tripod, and if you use longer lenses you might need a monopod for under the front standard.

-Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I vote for 12X20....

Seriously, I have used 4X5, 8X10 and 12X20. I find that 4X5 enlargements are virtually indistinguishable from 8X10 contacts. 5X7 enlargements can look very good at 16X20 print size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin