Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 833

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

bellows construction success!

Hooray! I just finished making my first camera bellows and I'm very pleased with how it came out. It's for a wetplate collodion camera I'm also currently building.

The bellows is a square design, 9.25" inside and 11.25" outside with 1" wide folds. It extends easily to 24" and compress to under 2".

I'm thinking about writing a webpage illustrating the construction process for a square bellows if there is any interest in such an article. The other sources I've seen online and in books or magazine articles are all for building conical bellows.

Here are some pics showing the bellows extended and compressed, with the foamcore form I used, and with a 35mm camera for scale:

first bellows

bellows and form

compressed bellows

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, nice work!
    The corner folds look smooth.

What outer material did you use?

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, you did a great job with the bellows. Maybe you could do an write up here in APUG's article section. I would be interested.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks great! I'd love to see an article.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Very nice looking work Joe! Well done!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most excellent look! I'd like to hear more about your trials and tribulations on your construction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks great, Joe. Congrats. Don't you love it when a (folding) plan comes together?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please do a how-to on this one. I'd be interested in your choice of materials, cutting and glue you ended up using. Very nicely done. tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Article please. What materials did you use and where did you get them? Excellent. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The outer material is a rubberized nylon fabric which Porter's Camera Store sells as "darkroom cloth". The inner liner material was 150 denier polyester matte black "Supersuede" from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (owfinc.com). Stiffeners were cut from black posterboard and I used black foamcore for the form. I used automotive headliner spray cement to attach the stiffeners to the outer layer and 3M automotive trim adhesive spray to attach the inner liner to the stiffener/outer layer. DAP contact cement was used to cement the diagonal seam on the underside of the bellows. (Buy plenty of spray adhesive if you plan to try this. I used 2 full cans on this bellows.)

It actually went together fairly easily once I figured out how I was going to glue it up. You need plenty of horizontal space for layout and construction, but otherwise, it was fairly easy and certainly worth the investment. I probably have about $60 into it of which $30 was the cost of the adhesives. I also used a fabric pencil, some masking tape, and a lot of paper towels to cover the surfaces when applying the adhesives. I figure a custom bellows this size would probably cost triple what I have into it. In addition to monetary savings, there is also the satisfacton of actually making it by hand.

It took several hours to plan the bellows and draw the layout on the materials. Cutting the stiffeners was maybe a half hour and gluing them in place probably took an hour. At that point I let it sit overnight to set the adhesive. Applying the inner liner and then folding it took a matter of minutes to complete although I did let the attached liner sit under weight for about an hour before attempting to fold it.

Now that I've done it and know what to do, I could probably make another bellows this large in a couple hours. Next one will be for a 5x7 Seneca Black Beauty and then perhaps the 8x20 Korona...

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin