Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,154   Online: 872

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    All of these tips you received are fine but at least you are now in the position of building a nice cozy fire. Try that with your polycarbonate.

Good luck
    Claire

Shooter
    Pinhole
    So what kind of beast lens is that?

Another thought I had was a machinist 'hogging out' a body from one piece of metal. I've seen that done (not for a camera, however). It seemed like a waste of a cube of aluminum but it was the only solution.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdavis
    Phenolic resin will work for your application, as Donald suggested. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search under plastics for "garolite". [...]-Greg
    Ah, good tip. I do appreciate it Greg. Don, you too. Thanks. Black 1/8 and 1/4" should work out very well. And it is light, too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    So what kind of beast lens is that?
    Murray
    The second proof-of-performance prototype is here: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/nl

(The first was a crude wooden platform - literally, a platform with an 110v shutter.)

However, the lens I'm working on now (#3) is is machined differently, using a Copal #2, and we are retaining the filter holder... and of course, getting rid of that Sinar body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    The second proof-of-performance prototype is here: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/nl
    That is a spectacular piece of glass! I want one...but then who wouldnt.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Laminate hardwood veneer and rotate each layer 45 degrees or so making your own plywood in whatever shape you like. Or just use aluminum. You can work it with a portable drill and files. Just go slow and be careful. Or get a machinist to do it for ya.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    That is a spectacular piece of glass! I want one...but then who wouldnt.
    What a monster. Where did you find that piece of glass or did you make it?
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer
    What a monster. Where did you find that piece of glass or did you make it?
    Here is more: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/proto/

I got several of these lenses through a government sale. I kept four good ones, and turned the rest back to the market, giving one away and sacrificing another to a bad job of disassembly.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With a lens that big and heavy, wouldn't it be easier to make a camera back and mount it to the lens? A strong cradle for the lens, a lighter one for the back. Bag bellows between. Since the "camera" wouldn't be carrying the weight of the lens, it can be much lighter and simpler.

Just a thought...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    With a lens that big and heavy, wouldn't it be easier to make a camera back and mount it to the lens? A strong cradle for the lens, a lighter one for the back. Bag bellows between. Since the "camera" wouldn't be carrying the weight of the lens, it can be much lighter and simpler.

Just a thought...
    My drawings are abysmal, I know. (did you see them on the second page?) Let me try to clarify: the lens and frame is one piece attached to the tripod block. The back moves back and forth on the rail on the and is not stressed.

Here's a larger sketch. The bottom shows a shadow where the tripod screw goes into the block. http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/proto/NW13.jpg

The tripod block is at the balance point and can be moved a bit left anyway.

A bag bellows is a good idea. Thanks!

Dunno. Is that more clear or am I still missing something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin