Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anybody Play with Pentax Spotmatics?

My brother picked up a Pentax Spotmatic and two lenses for me today at a camera show I could not attend myself. First question is which battery should I get to run the meter and two I want to hear from Pentax Spotmatic fans to on where to find a good source for lenses out there preferably in Canada . My brother turned me onto this camera because he owns one as well and loves the lens system.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get a zinc/air battery of the correct voltage to replace the unavailable mercury cell that was used originally. Freestyle and other mailorder firms sell the batteries. Spotmatics used different batteries in different models over the years. You can determine which you need with a little research on the web. Alkaline batteries are short lived and become inaccurate as they run down.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, all Spotmatic models had one sort or another of bridge metering circuit, and are semi-independent of battery voltage. What you'll see is that as the battery voltage drops, meter needle deflection gets smaller, but the null (which is a simple comparison of metering cell resistance against a resistance selected by the ASA/speed dial) remains accurate (barring age-related problems with the dual CdS cells). I've used mine with silver oxide batteries for years, never a problem (though I don't shoot many slides) until coming up with an apparent shorted CdS cell recently.

GMA's advice is correct for nearly every other battery operated meter of the day, however, whether installed in a camera or hand held -- most of them used mercury cells because of their long life and flat voltage curve as they discharged, and depend on the cell to provide a reference voltage; those require expensive and unreliable adapters, or short-lived zinc-air cells to give accurate results.

Do watch polarity, though my 1967 SP only runs the meter in reverse (needle goes to minus with too much light) if I get the battery in backward. You can't reverse the original cell, but the modern ones, in an adapter, can be installed backward with a little effort...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentax Spotmatic used PX625 mercury battery which are no longer made, due to environmental issues with mercury, they have been replaced by Zinc Air one called a Wein cell,you can find by searching on Google

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check eBay for Spotmatics and lenses. Right now the lenses are the cheapest I've seen, often $20-30. And quite a few sellers are in Canada.
    —Eric

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent cameras! Some fine photographs have been taken with the Spotmatic and its derivatives. I've always believed that every photographer should at some point own a Spotmatic. When I was getting interested in the early '70s they were beyond my pocket, but two days ago I bought another for my collection of Pentaxes (an SP2) in very good nick for ten quid (although they're cheap and easy to fix anyway). Excellent lenses, now to be had for peanuts on eBay, and even without the battery, all shutter speeds and are operative. As for the handling, I quote the adverts "Trust your hands to tell you it's Pentax!"
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Donald is correct, the bridge circuit in the meter of the SpotMatic is independent of the voltage and any approximately 1.5 volt cell will suffice. I tried the Zn/air cells with success but they constantly discharge as soon as the seal is removed. So it runs down whether you use the meter or not. They only lasted a month for me. I use a Ag/Zn now and check it against my spot meter regularly. It is a great camera - I even found a fa/2.8 Vivider 80-200 zoom. Never seen one before or after. According to my sources, that lens was made by a very reputable Japanese maker. Good luck - I'm sure you will enjoy the operation and the results.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought that the zinc/air batteries are supposed to last a year after the seal is opened. The only one I have used lasted almost exactly one year then failed completely without any warning. I bought a package of hearing aid batteries that read correctly for a split second then start dropping. Not at all reliable in my experience.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 395 batteries in mine, placed upside down. No problems so far.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought hearing aid batteries are zinc air?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin