Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 744

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    There's gotta be someone here at work with a Dremel I can borrow. I'm not allowed to bring cameras into the building, so I only bring unrecognizeable or obviously disabled parts. I had the mystery lens and a 12" Metrogon in (to measure stuff with a digital depth gauge).

I've been involved in some screwy drill press abuse. I worked somewhere we wound electrical coils, ground ferrite ceramic and mixed epoxy all on the same ugly drill press. Someone changed the belts/pulleys to high speed and the guy mixing epoxy came back to finish HIS job. The $200/gallon can of epoxy flew against the wall :O).

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Ahh, a neighbor had a Dremel or Sears equivalent, so I didn't buy one just to grind 4 screwheads off.

I'll be back.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I ground the screw heads off the sides of the film gate, and nothing budges. I see three rivets on each side down in the film 'wells', but they look like they would affect the integrity of the body. There are no additional screws visible on this camera, unless they are under the decorative skin. I may try solvent on the wrap to see what's underneath. The film get looks like it's part of the top & bottom sheet metal that the film holder and roller are attached (somehow) to. Looks like more 1-time hardware.

BTW, it's an Agfa Ventura 69.

Murray
    Murray

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the film gate wraps down into the film spool wells, as it does on some of my folders, it might well be one-time hardware. I was able to remove the gate, and subsequently the bellows, in my Wirgin Auta, but haven't been able to get either one out of my Speedex 4.5 (which is a close cousin of that Ventura); it seems to be secured by the tripod socket, of all things, and I haven't seen any way to move the socket; it looks as if it was cold drop forged in place! Which was most annoying, since if I could get the bellows out, I'd buy a Speedex Jr. for the better bellows to put behind this decent Agnar lens and finally get some good use out of this camera -- and then have a 6x6 film transport to put a pinhole on...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I wanted to save the bellows because it's in good shape. I'll wait before getting agressive.

I made a piece of ground glass today about 4"x12" to cut into pieces for focus checks on a few cameras. Seeing that glass got me thinking...'Pan-o-ra-ma, Pan-o-ra-ma, Pan-o-ra-ma'.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    I wanted to save the bellows because it's in good shape. I'll wait before getting agressive.

I made a piece of ground glass today about 4"x12" to cut into pieces for focus checks on a few cameras. Seeing that glass got me thinking...'Pan-o-ra-ma, Pan-o-ra-ma, Pan-o-ra-ma'.
    Yeah, Murray, I can see you starting to build a pan-o-ra-mic camera around a nice piece of home made ground glass - keep us posted if you do!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    'Starting', yes...that's the key word.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'Starting', yes...that's the key word.
    No doubt about it. Nut case.

Keep it up, you're an inspiration. Perhaps bad influence would be a better description.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    How to filet a Ventura 69.

Success!

Continued drilling with Dremel (actually, 'Sears Rotary Tool') until 4 screw shafts pushed thru (2 on each side (L,R) of film gate.

The whole film gate is formed with 'dimples' and bent so that it tightly snaps over the bellows. I took a 1/4" x 1" piece of steel and pried gently up on the L & R sides where the screws were removed and the bottom side came out, revealing the formed shape. A little more pressure on the sides closer to the top and the top rail lifted out. The top and bottom are tightly snapped between the other body shell layers. I thought it was one piece until I got it apart.

The whole gate and roller ass'y lifted out apparently unharmed revealing 4 folded over bellows flaps, barely glued down. I was able to pry bellows loose with fingernails.

I switched from the spherical cutting tool which was hard to steer and removed material very slowly to a cylindrical coarser looking cutting tool. The folding arm pivots were anchored mid-body, top & bottom with large head nickeled brass pins. Ground those off and the 4 rivets holding the folding hinge and it all came apart leaving the back. Cut-off wheel removed the shutter release button.

Free and clear now.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How to filet a Ventura 69.

Success!

Continued drilling with Dremel (actually, 'Sears Rotary Tool') until 4 screw shafts pushed thru (2 on each side (L,R) of film gate.

The whole film gate is formed with 'dimples' and bent so that it tightly snaps over the bellows. I took a 1/4" x 1" piece of steel and pried gently up on the L & R sides where the screws were removed and the bottom side came out, revealing the formed shape. A little more pressure on the sides closer to the top and the top rail lifted out. The top and bottom are tightly snapped between the other body shell layers. I thought it was one piece until I got it apart.

The whole gate and roller ass'y lifted out apparently unharmed revealing 4 folded over bellows flaps, barely glued down. I was able to pry bellows loose with fingernails.

I switched from the spherical cutting tool which was hard to steer and removed material very slowly to a cylindrical coarser looking cutting tool. The folding arm pivots were anchored mid-body, top & bottom with large head nickeled brass pins. Ground those off and the 4 rivets holding the folding hinge and it all came apart leaving the back. Cut-off wheel removed the shutter release button.

Free and clear now.
    Congratulations, Murray! As we say over here "de aanhouder wint" (he who keeps at it, wins). And thanks for sharing all the technical info on the process. One never knows to whose advantage that might be in the future. It's too bad you couldn't upload pics of the whole process (for non-English speaking crowds).
    Regards, Norm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin