Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,408   Online: 960

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I might re-visit the parts to show visually how it all happened.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Today, I realized the power of the 100 monkey theory of camera hacking.

Put 100 monkeys in a room with old cameras, parts, etc, and eventually one will build a Hasselblad.

By having 100 projects in flow simultaneously, the ideas feed off each other, creating a perpetual idea machine. None ever get completed, and thus never die.

Alternately, one could call this parallel processing!

I did net a 'deal' on a 120 back too, so I may allow for both options on this project.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    OK, I was asked to go back & document the surgery. I tried to recreate it positioning pieces roughly together. I didn't want to snap the film gate back over the bellows as I didn't want to stress either one further taking them apart again.

http://uptowngallery.org/Murray/AgfaFilet/

I used a Sears Craftsman Dremel equivalent. A round spiral cutting tool was too difficult to remove material with and control (hence the wild scratches away from the intended area). A coarser cylindrical spiral cutter was faster and so aggressive I seriously contemplated stopping to get safety glasses, which I probably should have done regardless.

The unfortunate choice of "#1" -"#14" for the photo names interferes with the 'Next' feature in the HTML...10 comes after 1...sorry...a quirk of computers.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Speaking of those darn monkeys above, one of them boogered up a shutter for me this weekend :O(
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're gonna do a panoramic, Doug Bardell's got some neat ideas:

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/panorama.html

I like his rollfilm back. Simple design, cheap to build and no guilt about hacking up old camera bodies.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks for the DB reminder.

That Agfa back got epoxied to a 4x5 holder so I can use a darkslide. The ground glass spacer had to be 1.697", however! A friendly machinist (I'll call him 'Chip' to protect his identity) insisted on 'hogging it out' of a solid block of aluminum instead of 4 separate sides.

The back of that beast is done but I'm still messing with the front.
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Murray

Save that viewfinder!!!!

Most of the Agfa Billy Records use a flip up finder. The finder from the ventura will replace it perfectly and add an accessorary shoe.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I looked inside the viewfinder. Man, you couldn't build something yourself that nice! Stepped sides, flat black, masked holes, nice...

Another nice thing to hang on to is the flip-up rangefinders from the now-cheap 100-200-300 series Polaroid packfilm cameras. I saw a mod with a bolt, two nuts & a calibrated scale glued on...the screw moves the external actuator & you get your indication on the scale aligned with the actuator arm. Not sure how well it mounts on anything, but can be a hand-held accessory.

Murray
    Murray

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin