Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,351   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

converting holga to 4x5"

hi

i am trying to connect one of my holgas to a 4x5" back, and i want to know if it is possible to take apart the lens and change the focal length or image circle by fiddling with the lens elements...

sorry, i'm new to large format and i also don't know much about lenses

paul

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure a Holga lens has elements. Not sure why you want to try this project. I doubt the Holga has enough lens coverage anyway. If you want to have fun with it, get the polaroid back; no conversion required. If you want to start LF inexpensively, get a Graphic press camera. But don't try to weld the two together into one.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy ony old crappy 4x5, do not learn how to use it, break the lens and voila! Big Holga!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Buy ony old crappy 4x5, do not learn how to use it, break the lens and voila! Big Holga!
    You forgot, "Make sure the film holder isn't quite seated correctly, so you get light leaks."
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well i'm not so much looking for cheap as i am looking for strange

but thanks for the help

rock

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Poper

but thanks for the help

rock
    Oh...strange. Well, then just about any old LF camera will do. I guarantee, if you take a LF camera out in public, you'll get all kinds of strange....looks and questions that is...The bigger and older, the better. Try a restored Kodak 2d - not strange at all to us but, to the general public....it's down right certifiable. Try it and be sure to share your stories here in the lounge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Poper

but thanks for the help

rock
    you can look for an olde sears demar or cyclone 4x5 box camera - they will take 4x5 film holders (+plates) and use a meniscus lens -
    you can also remove the element and use a plastic copy machine lens, you might be happy ...

my personal favorite is to use a speed graphic ( has a focal plane shutter) and use the a single cell lens that was harvested off of a junk folder. or you can also do the plungercam//loupe thang

-john
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-12-2005 at 11:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: cant spell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've harvested a few lenses from old Kodak folding cameras that took 122 film. The lenses cover 4x5, but have a wonderful soft glow to them. You might give this a try. Getting a folder with a Rapid Rectilinear lens in the 160-170mm range usually costs less than having the camera shipped to you. (I bought the cameras to make panoramic roll film cameras out of them using other lenses...having these wonderful old lenses included was quite a nice bonus.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin