Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,744   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

This is an evil forum topic...

I've been lurking here for a while, seeing what you guys are up to, watching, reading. Yesterday I downloaded a whole ton of designs and diagrams and pictures and stuff. I even went to the Bender website and out of sheer will power alone, managed not put anything into a 'CART'. Today, I printed out all those articles and diagrams and pictures....

I'm an engineer by education so I'm like a kid in a big new candy store here...er...as a kid who had many a mechano set back in the day, I'm really more like a recovering addict that has found a HUGE poppy field.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    I've been lurking here for a while, seeing what you guys are up to, watching, reading. Yesterday I downloaded a whole ton of designs and diagrams and pictures and stuff. I even went to the Bender website and out of sheer will power alone, managed not put anything into a 'CART'. Today, I printed out all those articles and diagrams and pictures....

I'm an engineer by education so I'm like a kid in a big new candy store here...er...as a kid who had many a mechano set back in the day, I'm really more like a recovering addict that has found a HUGE poppy field.

Art.
    So, Art, what are you up to then? What are ya'gonna do with all your diagrams and designs? Should we be worried? Should we seriously consider informing the local authorities we think we have a terrorist on board of the forum?

C'mon man, tell us more....more...more...more...we wanna know it all!

Cheers,
    norm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I found a speaker building forum awhile back and that's even worse I think. Every time I see the drivers piled up at the nearby surplus store I have to fight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, come on, you shameless barter you. You'll be ok as long as you don't have the tools and skilles needed to make the parts as well as they have to be made.

FWIW, I spent several ages designing the bracketry for my tandem rig. Simplified, reduced the amount of machining needed, ... There's no way I can drill plumb holes exactly where I intend. And there's no way I can turn the key part of coupler from any material. Don't have the tools, am out of practice, and wasn't a very capable machinist when I had access to a reasonably equipped shop and used it.

So after I had the designs more or less done, I talked things over with Adam at SKGrimes and HE's drilling holes and turning the tube for me. Some jobs are better farmed out. You do what you're good at, let the good machinists do what they're good at. By the way, Adam made some suggestions about choice of materials and fine details. Of course I accepted them. Same thing happened the last time I had an, um, odd job for him.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Art, I assume you've seen the pages of Jon Grepstad on building LF cameras?

http://home.online.no/~gjon/index.htm

-- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Art, I assume you've seen the pages of Jon Grepstad on building LF cameras?
    Yes. It's a conspiracy I tell you. It's like MSG in Chinese food. You just want to eat more an hour after gorging yourself. And all of you are evil servants tempting me ... err ....

This one's the worst: http://www.srv.net/~vail/camera.htm I mean he's practically charming you to build one! How could you resist? Look at his material list. Isn't that just an evil incantation?

Then there's this German dude: http://www.artm-friends.at/rm/foto/ Look at those drawings. They're precision German drawings. Who could ask for more elegance in such a wicked design?

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then there's this German dude: http://www.artm-friends.at/rm/foto/ Look at those drawings. They're precision German drawings. Who could ask for more elegance in such a wicked design?

Art.
    We've seen this website before too. Small note: .at means it's an Austrian website and the guy too is an Austrian! He might be sensitive about this 'small' difference...you should hear them speak, Austrians, it's another language all together from German! Amazing.

But now we know what y'er up to, that's good. Plenty of people here willing to lure you to the Dark Side - eh - Dark Slide!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You and me both Art! Just last Friday I visited all those sites and printed several pages of plans. I even went home late because I was so caught up in all of that and I never go home late on Fridays!

I'm seriously considering buying that book and making an 8x10. Then I want to make something bigger! Of course I would have to make some film holders and I'm already making contact frames...

You're right. This is just evil.

Images
    Yes. It's a conspiracy I tell you. It's like MSG in Chinese food. You just want to eat more an hour after gorging yourself. And all of you are evil servants tempting me ... err ....

This one's the worst: http://www.srv.net/~vail/camera.htm I mean he's practically charming you to build one! How could you resist? Look at his material list. Isn't that just an evil incantation?

Art.
    I've been in your shoes, but I am lucky. The images in http://www.srv.net/~vail/camera.htm won't print on my computer. And the German dude's won't either. No temptation just extreme frustration. The german Guy's little tracked vehicles are pretty cool too. I am waiting for Jim to find a beat up old 7x17 back in a mine in Tonapah and list it on Ebay. Then the temptation will once again drive me nuts.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    So I don't P off the Austrians It should read Austrian dude, and Austrian guy.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin