Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 812

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    Shall we finalize plans for where and when we will be doing some wooddorking? There is some pretty complex woodworking in the Back Assembly and I do not mean the finger joints. Does anybody own a large and heavy router table? The ridiculous things they sell at Sears do not count. An Overarm Pin Router maybe? I still don't have my table saw or thickness planer or radial arm saw moved from storage yet because there isn't room, but I did get the bandsaw and jointer moved. The bandsaw finally got the 4 inch riser that will allow it to resaw boards 12 inches wide if anybody got a good deal on some really wide stuff. My jointer sucks so bad. It rattles and clanks and sounds like the dickens. Need to work on that before we try to do any woodworking on it.

How are the bellows coming? Do we need to do anything to help the ladies with that? Would a wire frame soldered up as a pattern help? Who wants to make that?

Does anyone have any questions or free time?

Barry, my table saw. planer and 6" jointer is ready to use. I want to replace my router table (its home built) with something better since I don't like the fence.

Sharon & I haven't had the chance to get to crosscut and pick up our wood. We were out of town last weekend and the workweek is tough to get there. Maybe this weekend.

I worked as a draftman while in college, but that was before CAD (I'm dating myself).

Sharon had the idea of using mylar stiffeners instead of the paper ones. Any thoughts.

I'm teaching in Poulsbo next week and then Sharon & I are headed over to Photographers' Formulary for a week of playing in the darkrooms (plus I have to fix their network and teach them how to use their new website before it goes on-line). We won't be back till after Labor Day. That is if we can get the carb working right on the motorhome.

Let get the team back together after the holiday.

Steve

P.S. I'm copying all this to the new listserver.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just let me know.

Barry Young
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Have you seen this excellent link?

You must see this link. It is wonderful, especially the 8x20 section. Wow

http://www.jbhphoto.com/vcam/vcams.htm

You will love it.

Today was eventful. I got the thickness planer and table saw moved. So, now I just have to build the lumber racks before you come over to work on the metal lathe and milling machine. I was not prepared for just how much lumber I actually have. Wow.

Good luck.

Barry Young
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    You must see this link. It is wonderful, especially the 8x20 section. Wow

http://www.jbhphoto.com/vcam/vcams.htm

You will love it.
    That's a fantastic website! I'm just starting to complete my CAD drawings.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An aside to this, hope you guys document each step of construction and post it here or somewhere on a website. Not the details (don't want to give away any trade secrets ) This sounds like lots of fun....Good Luck to you all.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wish I can join you guys.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Safety tips for upcoming machining operations

[font=Arial]Seattle Camera Makers[/font]

[font=Arial]Machine Tool Safety Briefing[/font]

[font=Arial] [/font]
    [font=Arial][size=3]After much consideration I realized that people in our group who will be running machine tools in the very near future may not have run them before. I could give a big long speech that nobody wants to hear, and worse, some may not listen to. Instead I have written these simple but essential ideas down so that I do not forget any of them and so that you can refer to them at any time before and during the machining of the parts of your camera.[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Arial] [/font][/size]

[font=Arial][size=3]Despite the stories you may have read in the newspaper, machine tools can be very safe to operate if you follow a few simple rules. These are the rules I insist on in my shop.[/size][/font]

• [font=Arial][size=3]THINK BEFORE YOU MOVE. If everyone did this one little thing there would be very few industrial accidents. Envision clearly in your head what it is you are about to do. Know what the machine is going to do before you flip a switch or start a spindle turning. Go over in your head exactly what your hands will be doing during the operation. Walk through it with me if you are not completely clear about what will be happening during the operation.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]Before anyone operates a machine, be absolutely certain YOU KNOW HOW TO SHUT THEIR MACHINE OFF. This is not for you, it is for the person running the machine in case of emergency. [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]The only machines in the shop that can kill you are the metal lathe and the bench grinder. The worst that can happen with all the others is nothing compared to what these two seemingly innocent machines can do, the rest of the machines are kind and gentle. The lathe can throw a chuck key into your stomach or into your head if you forget to remove the chuck key before starting the spindle. The grinding wheel on the bench grinder can explode sending aluminum oxide dust into the skin of your stomach. You donít die from the dust, you die from the infection because the doctors cannot get all the dust out of you. It is a painful and horrible way to go. The rules here are NEVER LEAVE A CHUCK KEY IN A CHUCK and STAND TO THE SIDE OF THE WHEEL WHEN STARTING A GRINDER.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]DO NOT WEAR GLOVES AROUND MACHINERY. The most awful accidents I have seen in machine shops have all been caused one thing. People wearing gloves around machinery. The glove gets caught on a part of the machine or the part you are making and sucks your hand in. This same rule applies to long sleeves, wear a shirt with short sleeves. Never wear gloves in my shop. I will yell at you.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES. Every other machine in the shop can hurt you, but not kill you. If you wear your safety glasses and keep your hands where they should be, the worst that can happen is a finger cut. Whenever you are in the shop you should have safety glasses covering your eyes. If you donít, I will yell at you and probably taunt you as well. Please bring your own safety glasses, I do not have enough for everyone. Boeing Surplus sells them for a dollar and so does a guy at the swap meet. You will not be allowed to enter the shop without safety glasses.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]WEAR HEARING PROTECTON WHENEVER YOU ARE AROUND NOISEY MACHINES. Hearing loss is cumulative. You wonít notice the damage you have done until later in life. If you are running a Router, Table Saw, Sander, Dremel Rotary Tool, Electric Drill, Jointer or Thickness Planer, you must wear hearing protection. You only need hearing protection with the lathe if the cut you are making is loud (rarely). Again, bring your own hearing protection. Ear plugs are far more effective than ear muffs. [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]DO NOT STARTLE ANYONE RUNNING A MACHINE. Try very hard to avoid scaring or startling anybody running a machine. If they jerk when you scare them, their hands could go into the works. Avoid walking behind people who are running a machine for the same reason.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]DO NOT RUN IN THE SHOP. At all times and in all circumstances you can get there in plenty of time by walking. There are things sticking out all over the shop just waiting to stab you as you zoom by.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]IF YOU HAVE LONG HAIR, TIE IT BACK. You hair can get wrapped up in a turning spindle and pull your head into it. Usually the head is pulled toward the machine mount so fast that the scalp tears away just as the head is slammed into the machine mount. [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]BE CERTAIN OF YOUR FOOTING. Make sure there is no junk under your feet and that you are not in an awkward opposition while operating a machine. Do not back up. Turn and walk forward. If you slip, you could get very hurt very fast.[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial][size=3]NEVER TALK TRASH TO THE GUY TEACHING YOU HOW TO DO A MACHINE OPERATION. He has a mean streak and you will definitely lose the debate.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]That about covers it. If you wear your safety glasses, listen to instruction and do not commit the sin of horseplay, everyone will have a wonderful time and go home in one piece.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Barry Young[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]8-29-05[/size][/font]
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Hardware costs

One other thing, I have sourced all of the hardware and the costs for everything for each camera will be right around $100 not counting bellows, wood. ground glass or the brass pieces. This includes the racks and pinions. There will also be a small amount for shipping.

Someone (someone whose name does not begin with B) needs to be in charge of collecting everyone's money and ordering the hardware. I did the spreadsheet work. Everything is ready to go.

I will be making three cameras. One for me, one for Deb and a third as the basis for a horizontal enlarger.

All of the machines are now in my shop. Just have some organizing to do and we will be ready to procede on this end. I pick up Debs Purpleheart (LOL) on Friday. I have plenty of Mahogany and Cherry for my two.

Please get your wood, safety glasses, hearing protection and money in order. I am going to start making parts the week after Labor Day. You probably don't want to miss this bus.

Barry Young
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hello Art:

Please let me know what you are drawing. I am very interested.

Thank you

Barry Young

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    That's a fantastic website! I'm just starting to complete my CAD drawings.

Art.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Who is coming to do woodworking Saturday?

I have everything usable if not ready at my place. John and Andrew are coming here to make the baseboards to their cameras. Anybody else coming?

Barry Young
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin