Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,467   Online: 943

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Patch a LF bellows?

My 5x7 Korona has a replaced bellows thats worn holes in about 3 folds. Still seems light tight, just the outer covering is breached. What sorts of patches would work? I have some gutta resist glue, would that work? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I normally tape my corners with gaffers tape, which is a nice cloth based tape that leaves very little residue, most good quality photo shops carry it.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just patched an old Kodak #2 folder with the Bostick and Sullivan patch kit. There's enough there to do several cameras and it looks good too. I was patching tiny pinholes you couldn't really see without shining a flashlight through, so I can't tell you how it works on the larger holes. It does come with some cloth for that purpose though, you paint some of the black goop on, put a layer of the thin cloth over it, and paint it again.

Check out this thread for more ideas and opinions.

Nathan

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've patched a leather bellows with small pieces of thin leather, applied with rubber cement. They hold well, conform to the bellows shape after being compressed for a while in the folded camera, and can be removed by just peeling them off, if necessary, at a later date. Black leather, of course, and they are completely light tight.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have experimented repairing Bellows extensivley..... I made a hootch of neoprene rubber roof membrane, rubber cement, and black pigiment.... It failed after a few months......The best way I have found out side of replacement is to recover the entire bellows using a very thin material called nylon coated Taffeta.....It is a pain to do and by the time your thru you will have wished you would have bought a new bellows........ Life is to short........John Cremati

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go with the B&S kit. It will last you well...forever...the stuff is like Spottone.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a gaffer tape kinda guy for bellows patching. By the time the bellows for my 5X7 Eastman went to Western for replacement, it was about 50/50 leather/gaffer tape! (or at least it looked like it was...)
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin