Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,068   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Tell the truth. Is making a bellows a PIA

SO I got a bur up my nose and a beater 8x10 from jim to rebuild. The bellows is light tight but UUUUUUGGGGGGLLLLLLYYYYYY. SO I was thinking that a bellows for an 8x10 would be a chunk of money and then I thought about building one. I have been looking at sites and it seems rather straight forward but as I have learned in the past. Looks can be mighty deceiving.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, they are a PIA, but when your done, you feel very satisfied..

Have fun..

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Funny you should mention it . . .

http://largeformatphotography.info/l...ic/502498.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    PITA but worth it and if the end result isn't satisfying, your second one will be better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well I am glad the burr is up your nose and not another nether part....

Hey, you gotta remember, the process does matter! Although I gotta say, it seems like a PITA and I am guessing by the time you learned how to do it well, you probably would have spent more than if you got it from camera bellows...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just built my first one and didn't consider it to be a PITA. It did take some forethought and a lot of horizontal space, but it went okay. The bellows I constructed was a square design, extends to 30" and collapses to 2" and has an inner opening of 9.5" square with an 11.5" square exterior. URLs for a couple pics of the completed bellows:

completed bellows with form and Canon F1 for scale

first bellows

Here are my directions for the square bellows I built:

http://my.net-link.net/BA/D5/jsmigiel/bellows.html

Please note the above links to a draft webpage that needs some corrections to the figures as well as needing the inclusion of several additional figures to go along with the text. In its current state it does however have some hopefully useful links, lists of materials, design considerations, etc. I plan to revise it and post it in a few weeks once I can get access to my imaging computer back at work.

Joe

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Well I am glad the burr is up your nose and not another nether part....

Hey, you gotta remember, the process does matter! Although I gotta say, it seems like a PITA and I am guessing by the time you learned how to do it well, you probably would have spent more than if you got it from camera bellows...
    I save the nether regions for burs of a more professional nature. My co-workers know when I got one, and they scatter

Ahhh...But is it a process I wish to undertake? There is no way I could spend as much as Camera Bellows would charge. It is a toss up between making it and going with western bellows. They do great work-Used them to replace the bellows on my Galvin.

It is clear that practice with paper is in order to save money on items.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

Mark,

If you have a bellows it might be easier just to recover it, just carefully remove the outer cover and replace it. You could set up a plank like an ironing board and cut some foamcore to fit inside to hold it stretched out and glue down one side at a time. Some people have posted about 'Porter's Camera' darkroom cloth as being very usable.

Just a thought.

Images
    Phfitz

That is a heck of an idea. Can you explain more please. How do I seperate the two parts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late reply. Seperating the outer cover is fairly easy. Stretch out the bellows to it's full length and leave it stretched overnight. Dampen the outer skin with a water wet cloth, don't soak it. Start on the bottom side with the seam. Just take your time and work it off with a putty knife to lift it off the ribs. With the cover off you can replace any ribs that need it with poster board and a light coating of white glue on the new rib, don't want it to soak thru the inner lining. When you replace the outer skin, start at the top panel, then the two side panel, the bottom seamed panel is last. If you make the seam run almost diagonal across the bottom it won't pile-up when folded. Spray-on adhesive works well for the outer skin. Leave excess at the ends and trim after gluing.

Take your time and good luck with it. No matter what, it WILL look better than duct tape;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin