Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,039   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Grease for helicoids

Anyone have any suggestions for what grease to use on a lens focusing helicoid?

Thanks.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used lithium grease.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ed,

try Super-Lube grease at any hardware / auto store. Clear, clean, synthetic, teflon, nice 'body' to it, a decent amount of drag. All around great stuff.

www.super-lube.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Molybdenum Disulphide, a superb lubricant and tollerent to extreme temperatures. Reasonable cheap and available from gun shops.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have to second the Super Lube suggestion. I used it on the last lens I repaired with excellent results. The feel was very close to "factory". We have tubes of it at work, and unlike some other lubricants, it does not seem to separate. Some lubricants will divide themselves into the waxy lump that stays put, and the always-on-the-move runny oil.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a grease made specifically for this purpose. It is called stop grease and if memory serves, it is available from Micro Tools.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    There is something about Molybdenum Disulphide that had a safety factor...maybe just because it's a powder and you don't want it in your lungs. Last place I worked got really uptight about it. They apparently lost certification for using it for a very specific critical industry and had to find a workaround.

I haven't greased a helicoid, but I have done folder lens front cells with a synthetic # 28...I just forgot if it was Shell or Mobil. Wide temperature range. Pretty burgundy wine color too.
    Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    There is something about Molybdenum Disulphide that had a safety factor...maybe just because it's a powder .
    In this instance you would use moly paste which is less dangerous than than many chemicals found in darkrooms. Safety data (MSDS shhet) for a typical moly paste is here http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...imsdsnr=191698. I do agree that moly powder is more hazardous though.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Multi-commentary.

1) Neanderman...I like that name...I pilfered it and bestowed the name Neanderboy upon a kid at my daughter's bus stop...not to his face, of course!

2) Now I too have a helicoid dilemma, a lazy one-touch zoom that can't hold it's own weight in any position other than horizontal.

I don't know how far one can get into a 35mm zoom to address loose zoom; I guess that's technically not helicoid, probably, since it slides and the focus rotates. I hoped it needed silicone damping grease or the like.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the past I have used the lube made for fishing reels. The last tube I bought was made by Penn. Usually available where sporting goods are sold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin