Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,128   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: split rivets

Shooter
    Large Format

split rivets

I am restoring an old 5x7 Kodak view camera. In taking off the handle I straightened the split rivets that held it in place. I thought that it would be easy to find new split rivets to use on the camera, but I was wrong. Thus far, I cannot find split rivets apx. 7/16'' long with a shaft 1/16" wide. Does anyone know of a supplier for these non-industrial type rivets?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well here's a lot of help...

I couldn't find them either... Wouldn't mind finding a source though...

What I used in their place was # 2 machine screws with washers, cur to proper length. The advantage is that the handle can be replaced again later. But it's not original... Looks just fine though...

Shooter
    Large Format
    The last I bought, I got from an Ace Hardware Store.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    yep I have seen them there too at Ace Hardware.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Ace doesn't carry them, check with a case & luggage supply. We used to buy them from the folks who sold handles, hinges & latches.

Machine screws will work fine, as has been suggested. #2 may be a bit light, so try a #4 and drilling it out to fit. Can also use acorn nuts (with loc-tite!) or lock nuts and washers. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And not all Ace stores are created equal, The local one in my neighborhood is OK, but the one a couple miles further down the road blows it away when it comes to metric & misc. hardware.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can you use the type of rivit that you peen over instead of a screw?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Peening a rivit over when talking about a fragile 75 year old thin wooden camera is probably not a good idea ;-) Although you could of course do it with the right tools and care. I think I'd pass though and stick with the machine screws.

As to the mention above, I would beat that a #2 screw is stonger than that old split rivet! And my camera has 4 screws per side. Plenty strong enough for the handle.

As for those split rivits. Anyone know an on-line source for them???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We bought them from a supplier in California, I think around the L.A. area. Do a search of handles, hasps, clasps, hinges and see what comes up. tim

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A company called "Spaenaur" probably has these. I tried to find a link, but this %$#@&!!! computer at work has foiled my best efforts.

I think http://www.spaenaur.com should work.

Another possible source is "McMaster Carr" ??

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin