Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,655   Online: 813

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    I can tell you if you start with Aluminum Oxide, you will be sorry, unless you have strong arms.
    well, Upon ringing up a glass merchant who advertised repairs, etching and 'tricky stuff' they advised that they had aluminium oxide at a very cheap cost, On arrival I was told that they didnt have it after all and they were refering to another oxide polishing compound - they *did* however have an etching paste that may work - it looks as toxic as all those things mentioned above "Contains Ammonium and Sodium Biflourides - wear full body amour, keep a concealed dagger in addition to your sword when opening pottle"

gawd, I'll get back to you with the results -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can send you a 4x5 screen for $9.95 + shipping?

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nick, That sounds pretty nasty. Really, the glass shop is the wrong place to get the Alumina. Try an arts and crafts store. You can buy a bottle of the stuff for about $7-8 add to that a piece of precision cut glass and another larger, real thick piece to grind on and you're ready to start. Do try it. It's fun and rewarding. I made two or three. I'll never bother again though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any place that sells rock tumblers would also carry the compound in various grits. Or try the valve grinding compound. It works wonders on hardended steel valves.

I'm with both sides on this. I have a couple of Dave's GG (and love them), plan on buying a few more when I get around to it. But, I'd also like to grind my own one of these days. Some things are fun to do at least once...

I have a quantity of the rock polishing compound, and especially after a bit of use, the fine stuff is really fine! I haven't read the links listed, but I would probably just take two sheets of glass and slide them together for a while with the compound in between. I wish I had the free time, but it's really more one of those Winter projects anyway...

(and how come I can't use the spell checker on an edit... Gees I can't spell any more)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    well, I've done it - and its ok - and I know now what I need to do to make it perfectly next time (dont fiddle so much with it, just pour it on quickly and in a good amount, which can be scrapped off to use again anyway) - but honestly its fine, just a little streaked (from not getting the paste on fast enough and having a sharpish plastic putty 'knife') but the image is there and is more than adequate for my needs.

thanks for the offer Dave! however I am somewhat in and out of the business of making things, so I really love getting my hands dirty and acidified to find out about different processes - this project is practice for an 8x10 next time round (; a combo 8x10 monorail/ and curved film plane pinhole

and now I have a pottle of glass etching compound so I can personalise my bottles with all sorts of profound obsenities and the like (;

*grin*

i'll get a few pic's in the tech gallery when its complete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Homemade GG

I'm rather late here, but I just wanted to add my experience in making my own GG.

Although I'd much prefer to have Dave's ("SatinSnow") ground glass, the complications implied in sending it across the ocean are not worth it.

In short, today I made 2 (two) pieces of 4x5 GG in about 5 minutes - no aggressive chemicals involved!

It's a variation of Dick Dokas' method listed earlier.

In short: you need a piece of thicker glass to be used as base, some valve grinding compound, a few drops of water, and about 5 minutes of circular motion ("elbow grease").

You might experiment with various grades of "grinding paste" (i.e. valve grinding compound) first, using smaller pieces of glass, to see which grade suits you best.

The thickness of glass usually isn't that important - at least for the cameras I use. I used 1,8 - 2mm glass from a glass shop, where they cut it to my specifications - I'm not very successful in cutting glass

Anyway, it takes about $2 for the glass (already cut), $3-$5 for the "grinding paste" (that's what the product is called here), and about 5 minutes of work.

You might inspect the glass every now and then (rinse it in water to wash off the paste and dirt, and then dry it) to see if the sanding is even.

The two attached photos show the end result - the photo with two glasses on the keyboard shows my DIY GG on the left, and the "original" on the right. The "original" also looks like a DIY job (it came with the camera I got recently), but the grain is quite coarse - probably done by sandblasting (which is almost unusable for this purpose).

The grid was done with a pencil

Regards,

Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gg-01.jpg   gg_02.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    That's good info. I have made a couple of g/gs out of acrylic--very easy with a couple grades of veryfine-ultra fine sandpaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually,

International problems have been pretty much taken care of, we shipped over 100 international orders in November with no problems at all.

We will again be back to shipping in the next couple of days, and with all the work we have put into our international stuff and paper work, I don't really anticipate any problems in 2006 on International or Domestic orders.

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Brakleen

Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    If you're really in a hurry, and can live with a plastic screen, just spray a sheet of Lexan (the anti-glare kind is best, just be sure not to spray the AG side) with some Brakleen, and then quickly dunk the Lexan into a pail of cold water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent, and swish it around for a few seconds, and then hang the lexan by one corner to dry, just like a sheet of film. Be careful to handle the Lexan by the edges, or you'll get permanent finger prints. When its dry, you'll have a very bright, very even sheet of ground glass....er...matte plastic.

Jay
    Jay,
    What is Brakleen and where do you get it?
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Actually,

International problems have been pretty much taken care of, we shipped over 100 international orders in November with no problems at all.
    Dave
    Thanks for the update, Dave! I'm glad that the international shipping problems are sorted out. I'll probably order one from you, just in case

Regards,

Denis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin