Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 751

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    First of all i want to say i have never made or used ground glass, so i have no first hand experience. But i was thinking, maybe it could work if you sprayed the glass with some kind of matte varnish? Either like the ones they use for making frosted glass or some ordinary varnish. Like i said i don't know, just a thought i had.

/F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am one of those do it all yourself guys but I withdrew on the groundglass. Commercially made groundglass is brighter than you will ever be able to make yourself and the cost is not dramatically high.
    Buy one. You will not regret it.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you happen to be shooting in West Dogpatch and have a busted groundglass, frosted Scotch tape over plain glass or Lexan does a tolerably good job.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I have made dozens of sheets of ground glass up to 8x10.

The easiest method is to make two at a time. Obtain some 600 grit, or finer if you can find it. It is available at hobby shops which cater to rock tumblers. Put about 1/2 teaspoon on one sheet of glass. Add about an equal amount of water.

Place the second sheet of glass on top of the first, and with smooth rotary motion, and only moderate pressure, start grinding. if wheyou check one area has not been ground equally, use a little more pressure in that are as you continue to grind.

Not difficult, but be patient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Jim, it is so quick & easy to make a very good true ground glass that I don't see the point in a lot of other (and what seem to me to be inferior) methods that folks try. A small bottle of 600-grit silicon carbide from a rock-hound (lapidary) or hobby shop will last you forever and make many, many sheets of ground glass.

My method is basically the same as described. I've found that hobby shops carry thin glass (thinner than window glass) pre-packaged for use in framing. If you ask nicely they'll usually cut it for you for free, or for a small charge - although that's really not hard to do you yourself either. I take 2 pieces of 4x5 glass, cover one side of each with package tape as smoothly as possible not to make bumps or lumps in the surface, put the grit between with a little water to make a paste and rub them together in a semi-random orbital fashion. I put the bottom one on a piece of flat masonite, or any flat surface and swap them out from time to time so that they both get ground evenly.
    Wash them off occassionally to ck your progress. Takes 15-20 mins max. Wash 'em off, take off the tape, and you've got 2 good pieces of GG.

And yes, I do plan to buy a new one from Dave soon, too cheap (for that quality) to pass up!

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you count your time and the quality its no chance against Satin Snow.
    Just be claever and buy Satin snow and never look back!
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin