Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,431   Online: 867

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well Argus that Cambara 810 is the most impressive camera in this thread, it's outstanding.

Ian

Thanks for the compliment but I do not agree.
    I was personally blown away by Colin Grahams' camera, shown in this thread a while ago.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your right both of your cameras are execellent, I'd overlooked Grahams. In the end it all comes down to personal taste.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

DIY camera

This is may first DIY camera, although the second version. It started off as a fixed focus f32 for the 90mm lens set at the hyperfocal distance, after getting a 6x12 back and 75mm lens I took the saw to it so it would take both lenses.

Materials for the model pictured:-
    Ikea pen holder and magazine holder
    Model making ply 3mm & 1.6mm
    Decorator caulk
    M6 threaded inserts
    M6 thumb screws
    Blackboard paint
    Elastic cord
    Neilsen picture frame Aluminium section & clips
    Satinsnow g'glass
    Length of wood

See my website for example image:-
    Sunset, Longdendale

Currently getting materials together to make a focusing model based on Fotomann helical mounts bought from the States while exchange rates are good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LAND-scape I.II-a.jpg   LAND-scape I.II-b.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

Needed a test bed to check bellows draw for some old brass cannons at portrait length, down to 1 meter, so I bought a 6ft x 12in x 3/4in pine plank and 2 shelf brackets at Lowe's. Decided to make it foldable and bought a 12in piano hinge at Ace. The bellows is 2 aluminium angles and a dark cloth, actually works. Total cost $20USD.

The moving focus carriage is from an Ansco 5x7 studio portrait camera, the back assm. is from a Agfa/Ansco 8x10. The angle brakets will go from back to front for carrying and latch it the frame with 2 thumb screws for use. 45 inches bellows draw yet to be made. Total weight w/o lens = 12lbs.

Yes, it's the ugliest box of rocks posted yet. :rolleyes:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0474.jpg   100_0476.jpg   100_0477.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amland View Post
    This is may first DIY camera, although the second version.
    I think you did a good job on your first camera. Quite a clever use of existing materials.

Have you thought about sealing the wood and then painting it all black?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post
    <snip>

Yes, it's the ugliest box of rocks posted yet. :rolleyes:
    What do you mean, ugly? I think its pretty damn cute.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "What do you mean, ugly? I think its pretty damn cute."

Why, thank you Dan. It's also rather handy for it's intended purpose. I have found:

44" of bellows is enough for any lens at portrait distance

the new-to-me 1860 Voigtlander petzval portrait is 18" f/4 and was sent back to the Wollensak factory to be refit into a Studio shutter in 1926 for the reason I suspected., it's a 'mojo master' from way back. Damn it has a look to it.

the B&L Universal Portrait #3 is a
    16" f/4 petzval in standard set-up
    18" f/4.5 petzval in reverse set-up
    28" f/7 port-lan meniscus in converted set-up (really fine look to it)

the 'Extra Rapid Lynkeioskop' is 18.5" f/6.3 so I can finish the waterhouse stops

if I put the front cell of the B&L 14x17 f/6.3 on the 'magic lens' it's a 32" f/10 with monster-sized coverage. Now to find 40" film.

I did find the right fabric for the bellows at 'Jo-Anne's', folded it's 16 x 12 x 24 inches. Now to find the balance point for a tripod mount.

Too many project, not enough time

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Nathan,

I did not make the bellows, please read above.

Barry,

the metal is spray painted aluminium. I'm not into anodizing yet.
    The paint will get damaged overtime, I'm aware of that.

Next thing to do is adapt the 7x17 to use the same base as this 8x10. The base and front standard will become interchangeable between both cameras.

Greetings,
    G

Check out anodizing, here in the US it is pretty cheap. I always get them to throw in my odd parts when they are running big lots....EC

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    I think you did a good job on your first camera. Quite a clever use of existing materials.

Have you thought about sealing the wood and then painting it all black?
    I did think of using some outrageous wood dye but went for the easy option of wax applied with wire wool and polish it up with a cloth.

I droppped it in a stream a few moths back it didn't suffer from the experience!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My meager efforts pale when I see all of the true camera building posted,
    but here they are (and I have bored all by posting these before, so I'll be brief):

A lensboard that allows my 5x7 Korona to have swing and tilt on the front standard.

A tripod platform with dual spirit levels for my Asanuma King 1

5x7 B&J back adaptation on the AK1 (originally Half-Plate)

4x5 back on the AK1 - spring is B&J.

The AK1 is my shooter now, in two formats plus the original half-plate (if I ever find book form holders for it). It has new bellows by Mark Kapono and Satin Snow glass screens by Dave parker in both backs.
    Last edited by ragc; 03-10-2007 at 07:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin