Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,667   Online: 1193

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast

My 1/2 plate sliding box camera

The lens is an 1862 Dallmeyer 2B Quick Acting Portrait lens, the camera a 1/2 plate sliding box made in 2004 for wet collodion work.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow...nice camera and nice 1st post...welcome!
    Dave in Vegas
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Then there's the 10x8

Then there's the 10x8, a wet plate camera in cherry. The lens is a 3B Dallmeyer Patent Portrait lens. This was based on an E & H.T.Anthony design of the 1870s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

6x17 what an Obsession!

Being obsessed with camera building must be some kind of mania? If it is, then I have it.
    I really get off on building cameras of this format, so I thought I'd share the only 'Woody' I've built so far. It's mostly fashioned from aluminium, either 80mm channel section or drawn 3mm. With this particular camera I selected a lump of Australian Red Gum, but found it was harder to work with than metal. I certainly don't see smoke coming off the saw blade when cutting anything else, it sure is hard as nails.

I managed to fabricate everything myself....but the lens cone is welded for me by a guy who manufactures truck fuel tanks, so if I lay the ready to weld bits in his path he doesn't notice. All spindles etc were machined on my little converted wood lathe, with most brass parts originating from a scrap yard, (a great place to hang out on your day off, everyone should try it).

Buy yourself a Chinese helical focusing unit for around $130, then have all the bits powder coated after they've been sanded smooth, then wash 'em all in Palmolive.......

Finder was an adapted video camera wide angle lens with a mask made from 1mm aluminium. Add a double bubble and a nice 90mm f8 glass in a suitable shutter and voila!
    Such big wide negs and trannies turn me on so much, I can't stop making these damn cameras.........not really an obsession, but more like a form of madness. Sadly Woody has gone but is not forgotten, simply replaced by a couple more......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Obsession-617-kit-web.jpg   My Obsession 617 Woody.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Specialty camera

Hi Clayton........I still have those two 70mm cassettes you sent me for the 300mm panorama camera. Believe me I'm still seriously thinking about it, but being so busy, it's kinda hard to get all the ideas into fruition. I can ship them back if you like? Don't you find 70mm film hard to come by?
    Cheers, Dean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

update on my test-bed mule. I bought a Vitax from everyone's favorite Nevada lens mine and it came will a half cord of wood attached. when the dust cleared it is an Agfa/Ansco #4? studio portrait 8x10 from about 1920 and in fine shape. That's a SpeedGraphic 4x5 for size comparison.

SO, of course I just had to buy it's big brother, the Ansco 5A, which opens to 45 inches and closes to use a 190mm lens, has 2 lens board mounts so I can front or rear mount the Packard shutter and use the front bellows as a compendium lens shade. Now to make lots of 9x9 lens boards and a studio stand for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails agfa4.jpg   agfa5a.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Ha!

PhotoPete's Uncalled-For-Crime-Cam get's my vote! I don't know what category, but it's the only one I voted for!
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread is quite a stunner ... I wish I'd seen it earlier.

Here's a few of the pieces I've made over the past couple of years ...

6x7cm, 4x5", 5x7" extension back, and a tilt/swing bellows for DSLR I made recently.

Thankfully, they all work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
    This thread is quite a stunner ... I wish I'd seen it earlier.

Here's a few of the pieces I've made over the past couple of years ...

6x7cm, 4x5", 5x7" extension back, and a tilt/swing bellows for DSLR I made recently.

Thankfully, they all work.

AHA! Here is the famous builder of the Surveyor.
    Tha's quite a camera you made. Your website is in my bookmarks list.

Greetings,
    G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Argus !!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin