Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,248   Online: 729

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandeha, great carpentry skills! I have wanting to build a medium format folder for a while now. Can you tell me if this uses RB6x7, or graflex film backs? Now you've gotten me started with this again! I have a front and rear stand made, but am not sure on the focusing mechanism yet. Do you have any views of the rear of the 6x7?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Andrew. Thanks for the compliment.

Here's a rear view of the Garden camera (it's not big enough to be a field camera) with the sheet film back attached ...

A view with the connecting plate for the RB67 back clipped onto the camera. The RFH slides down onto the brass strips using the grooves ...

A shot of the RB67 mounted ...

And a shot of the reverse of the two backs ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And here's the full kit ...

Hope that helps.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume View Post
    Barry

how far will you go taking on oddball one of a kind jobs? I ask because I always have jobs like this to be done but have trouble finding anyone with the expertise, equipment and desire to take on the challenge of a one off that no one else has dreamed up!

Clayton
    Hi Clayton: I no longer do custom work. The problem is the desire you mentioned. I believe that generally people are good. They only turn evil when they want something custom made. You see, people are used to living in a mass produced world. They look at their cell phone or DVD player and think they payed too much when they bought it. Can you imagine what a cell phone or DVD player would cost if you had to make one from scratch? So when people ask me for custom components they are rarely ready for the price. I try to get them ready by telling them that it is going to cost a LOT more than an off the shelf mass produced item, but they do not seem to hear me. For example, a camera knob which is made on a CNC lathe takes about 5 minutes for a fancy one. That is if 500 are being made and if you do not count programming and program optimization and toolmaking time. Those expenses are spread over the entire run and become minimal if the run is huge. That mass produced knob can be sold for about $4. If I were to make the very same knob once using conventional machines it would require a 45 minute set up, planning and I might scrap one or two along the way. My time is valuable as is my investment in machinery and overhead. I would have to sell that same knob for about $85. Even at that I am losing money. So when the customer gets a quote for $85 for something he figures should cost $4, he says "No thanks" or even gets angry and I lose my time figuring up the quote as well as a little bit of reputation. That is why there is no desire by people with the equipment and knowledge, and that is why I do not do custom work any more. I am sorry I could not help you.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apologies ... it seems I should have used "Attached Thumbnails". Hope all is clear ... Sandeha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3738_copy.jpg   IMGP3734_copy.jpg   IMGP3732_copy.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Sandeha - that is cool little machine.

The hinged GG is a great idea...I see myself juggling a piece of glass with spacers glued to it and tape on the edges to protect fingers, a spotmeter in the other hand, and ..*^(@*(& ouch, ()()#@=
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice Sandeha! Very well thought out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

My 16x20 Camera

I'm making this 16x20 wet plate collodion camera around a $25 e-bay bellows and mahogony that I found in a dumpter in Staten Island. I'm almost finished with the plate holder, and hope to be using it this summer...

So far I have about $80 into the construction (minus the lens).

Cheers...

David
    prifti.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16x20camera.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's gorgeous prifti! ANYONE attempting 16x20 wetplate is deserving of some respect.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    If I were to make the very same knob once using conventional machines it would require a 45 minute set up, planning and I might scrap one or two along the way.
    I just took a whole 8 hour day making what I thought would take 2 or 3 hours...

A alu bar with 4 slots and one tapped hole ... Setting up the mill to be safe and not cut into itself took a lot longer than I anticipated. And the constant rechecking of measurements to account for working with drill centres instead of the actual slot dimensions ...

Anyhoo - long winded way of saying yeh, I understand where you are coming from...

I'll post some pix of my setup soon - its a handheld 16mm 3D filming rig with a wireless connection firing an array of strobes at 50Hz (in time with the two shutters)
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin