Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,655   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, I don't consider myself a camera builder, more of a camera assembler as I leave all the precision work to those more qualified. But, since you also included "mods and creations" in the subject title, here's a pic of my 4x10 Swiss Lotus. It's assembled from bits and pieces from ARCA-SWISS and Lotus along with a few pieces of aluminim bar stock I bought at my local hardware store and cut on my table saw.

It works great, and thanks to the people at ARCA-SWISS and Lotus, is a pleasure to use. The weakest part of the design is (of course) the parts I built. There is a bit of flex in the rear standard - not bad. It reminds me of the Canham DLC I used to own. You can see it flex if you push on the top of the camera back, but once the pressure is removed, it goes right back where it should. So, don't push on the top of the camera back and everything is OK.

Using thicker bar stock would have minimizd this flex, but would have added weight (the camera, as shown weighs 6½ lbs.). Now that I've been using the camera a while and am pleased with the way it all works, I may design a better rear bracket (rigid and light) and have it fabbed by a local machine shop.

Kerry

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    My kit built builder Bender camera is in the Technical Gallery... Why don't we "all have access" to that gallery??? Seems redundant to do it here...
    "Due to server loads, the APUG Galleries are now subscriber only."
    - is what you get if you are not a subscriber .

I dont want to rip-off the server by hacking the forums into a gallery so perhaps you have a point ... it would be nice to have them all in one place thats all - maybe another gallery option ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder
    "Due to server loads, the APUG Galleries are now subscriber only."
    - is what you get if you are not a subscriber .

I dont want to rip-off the server by hacking the forums into a gallery so perhaps you have a point ... it would be nice to have them all in one place thats all - maybe another gallery option ?
    The real issue is "why aren't people subscribing"? If folks see the vaule in APUG, then we should subscribe. Give up one of the worthless magazine subscripitions or a few cokes a week.... This forum is too valuable; we all need to invest in it to make sure that it lasts.
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    35mm RF

Hand crafted 4x5

Here is a link to my homemade Alletta 4x5 camera. The designer for the camera has seemed to have disappeared and the bellows needed a coat of paint to make it light tight. I also opted to scavenge a graflok back instead of building my own.

http://www.paw.emah.tommyclassic.com...ar=2004&pic=52

If I can build it, so can you.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If anybody's interested in the Alletta design, let me know. I have his book and he stiffed me for $60 U.S. before he disappeared. I will gladly sell copies of his book for $5.00 each until I have recovered my $60

Images
    Watch out jane. Selling one copy of his book could hit you for a hell of a lot more than 60 bucks as it is a direct violation of the copyright laws, whether he owes you money or not. Now you could start a loaner program. Loan it out to as many folks as you want.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ok, I'll loan it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK

These are not home built cameras, just some recovered things. It's a hobby of mine recovering old cameras with fancy skins. I buy them, replace foam, clean em up, and add new leather. Than I sell them on ebay for about what I paid for them.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-.../century01.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...potmatic01.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...94/nikon02.jpg

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Kevin:

I LOVE the Century Graphic in red. Wow!

Barry Young
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So What do you get if youtake...

A piece of ply, some u shaped aluminum channel,a plastic cutting board, the front standard off some band j camera,a surgical brace support thingy.a bandsaw blade, a rabies tag for a cat, various nuts and bolts, a picture frame from the thrift store, two yards of drapery fabric and some glue oh and a bit of time..why an 8x10 camera of course! oh forgot threaded rod and brass inserts and those plastic thingies they use in the packaging for kids toys these days.

I based my design on a cross between a philips explorer and a kodak masterview, the rest was bodgefied into existance,hope you guys like it!
    oh and special thanks to all those apuggers who answered other peoples questions and provided solutions, especially pfitz for the tip on using a tile to glue up frames and calamity jane for the drapery blackout fabric for the bellows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8x10tilt.JPG   8x10 front.JPG   8x10 focus.JPG   8x10extended.JPG  

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin