Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,187   Online: 1239

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122232425262731 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    Hi Jim,

No, front & back focus is all done thru the gear tracks. All adjustments and controls are identical in operation to a Kodak 2D. The bellows was bought from ebay. I've been collecting parts for about 2 years. Once I got the film holders (S&S - used) this summer I started the construction. Took about a month in my spare time.

John
    John, I guess what threw me off was seeing the gears on the back not meshing with anything. Did you put others on the back shaft? Regardless nice going. I'll bet it was hard to be patient. Nice to have it finished.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Since I had two sets of everything (controls), I simply used the 2nd set of shafts with the gears to extend the shaft out. I wasted the gear, but doing that expedited the job. There is another set of gears inboard that line up with the gear track in the extension.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John, like I said very nice job. Now the fun of 8x20 begins. You start to look for images to fit the format. It is a lot of fun and you will slow down, trust me.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    Here's my 8x20 made from (2) Kodak D2's. One was an incomplete basket case. The other was in need of serious restoration.

I made a crate to haul it around in as well. It can hold (3) filmholders, extension rail, camera, extra lens(es) and a darkcloth and meter.

I made a strut to be part of the original tripod adapter. The strut keeps the base and the extension rail and front rail in a plane. No sagging. Important to me as a I have a 600mm Apo Ronar waiting to be adapted to a shutter.

Here's also a side view showing the complete assemble. You can see my cylindrical bellows support. It rolls as you focus in/out.

The back is really all I made. It's from Cuban Mahogany finished with tung oil.

The GG protector attachment point were built into the back.

The underside shots show the construction. All the D2 movements are preserved.

This outing was a trial run. I didn't even have 8x20 film, so I butted together (2) 8x10 sheets in the holders.

John
    John, beautiful work here. Way to go with the "use what you got" approach. My compliments1
    Erik

Shooter
    Medium Format

8x20/7x17 Agfa Commercial View conversion

Hi There

Here are some pics of my new project an Agfa Commercial View 8x10 that I am making into a 8x20 although I want to start with a 7x17 back. I have raised the Front standard to allow swing, the back came up to the same height and still gives access to the backs controls which is very handy indeed, I also want to add front tilt. I hope to make the bellows as per my 8x10 and will attempt my first a back and film holders, thats the reason I want to start with the 7x17! then when i am more confident add the 8x20 back and holders

If anyone one has advice on 7x17 Film-back and Dark-slide construction I would be most grateful

Thanks
    Brian

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!! I have to make three before the sucker is right!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image020.jpg   Image022.jpg   Image024.jpg   Image023.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonite View Post
    Hi There

Here are some pics of my new project an Agfa Commercial View 8x10 that I am making into a 8x20 although I want to start with a 7x17 back. I have raised the Front standard to allow swing, the back came up to the same height and still gives access to the backs controls which is very handy indeed, I also want to add front tilt. I hope to make the bellows as per my 8x10 and will attempt my first a back and film holders, thats the reason I want to start with the 7x17! then when i am more confident add the 8x20 back and holders

If anyone one has advice on 7x17 Film-back and Dark-slide construction I would be most grateful

Thanks
    Brian

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!! I have to make three before the sucker is right!!
    Brian, nice work so far. It is a labor of love. You should PM my friend Dan Dozer about the back and holder questions. Dan has a nice book that he did on the building of his 8x20. We built ours at the same time and he documented the construction. The book he did is very helpful. He sent me the page on building the back and I got mine in perfect registration. For me it was measure 50 times and cut once! Dan built his holders but told me recently that due to consistent small light leaks he broke down and bought some holders.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recently finished this 18"x24" camera. It's not pretty and my ability as a carpenter is, let's just say, pitiful. Built mostly with a mitre box and hand drill. I did use a circular saw for the rise/fall and focus slots. So far everything seems to work as planned but I won't know for certain until I convert the plate holder and stick some film in there. I built everything except the back and bellows and the back is horizontal only. I haven't weighed it yet but I think it's ~25 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1824a.jpg   1824b.jpg   1824c.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Brian, and I thought I was a glutton for punishment! I built my 8x20 and 11x14 with hand tools in my apartment but this is amazing! Dude, you rock!!!! Nice to see what can be done with some thought and patience. Nice going!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim! I really am a glutton for punishment, after shooting 11x14 for a while I realized I needed a bigger negative. After looking at the ground (plexi)glass on this beast I felt like it was getting closer.:rolleyes:
    Does anyone have a 30x36 back and bellows lying around?:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Jim

Thanks for your advice I have sent a PM to Dan about the back and holders

Brian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin