Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,011   Online: 845

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 141819202122232425262728293034 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    New 5x12, WA style. A svelte 6.5 lbs, down from the 11lbs of my first homebuilt 5x12 (13lbs including the vertical mounting bracket).The back switches to vertical, and the front standard telescopes enough to get well past center of the vertical orientation.

There's a shorthand log about the build here, including some ravings on bellows. (I haven't had a chance to write up building filmholders yet, sorry.)

Colin, that has got to be the most beautifully done "home made camera" I've seen. Truly well thought out and your workmanship is fantastic. Really enjoyed your log about it. Well done!
    erik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    New 5x12, WA style. A svelte 6.5 lbs, down from the 11lbs of my first homebuilt 5x12
    Fantastic looking camera and a great write up. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin,

That looks like a fine piece of craftsmanship. Looking forward to many more beautiful photographs taken with it.

Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stunning carpentry Colin!! Wow!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Great camera, Colin, realy a beauty !

I will have to do a lot of practising before I reach your quality of work......
    Will be starting on my field in August or so..... from Brazil Wood and yellow copper.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Colin Graham;821463]New 5x12, WA style. A svelte 6.5 lbs, down from the 11lbs of my first homebuilt 5x12 (13lbs including the vertical mounting bracket).The back switches to vertical, and the front standard telescopes enough to get well past center of the vertical orientation.

There's a shorthand log about the build here, including some ravings on bellows. (I haven't had a chance to write up building filmholders yet, sorry.)

Beautiful camera Colin. I'm way impressed and enjoyed your blog on building it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I'm glad the blog came across ok. Spending that much time on one thing, well, I was afraid my lunacy might have started showing through. I really enjoy starting such projects but wow am I glad when they're done!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Spending that much time on one thing, well, I was afraid my lunacy might have started showing through
    We would probably see that as totally normal!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I'm glad the blog came across ok. Spending that much time on one thing, well, I was afraid my lunacy might have started showing through. I really enjoy starting such projects but wow am I glad when they're done!
    I know exactly what you mean about walking in and out of a hardware store and not getting the part needed for a project. Your back spring mechanism is a great design, I found the left and right hand wound springs but haven't figured out the sizing yet, I wonder if the old camera manufactures measured in inch pounds with tools or just developed them in time by trial and error.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes, sizing is tricky for the springs. I used trial and error myself when I first came up with it several cameras ago. It's hard to get a significant amount of torque without getting really large springs (like those 4 inch coils on graflock backs) so I had to compromise a little. My holders are very flat so I don't really need the mousetrap-like tension (and no need for a bail back either). If it's any help, the part number of the springs I used from McMaster Carr is 9271K42. If you need really strong tension, the traditional flat leaf spring is probably most efficient design.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin