Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 961

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 162021222324252627282930313236 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    OT: Hey Nick... interested in building a bellows or two for me?
    That's what I was thinking too!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    OT: Hey Nick... interested in building a bellows or two for me?
    Ha ha - yeh!

When I was putting these together I realized I had done pretty well - at the seam of the leather there is no overlap, which I'm pretty chuffed with - I'll report back on the method (which was surprisingly simple) if it stays true over time.

The leather is cut from a half of a cow around 0.6mm average section, the stiffeners I experimented with much thinner plastic this time and its working fine, inside just a plain ol' flat black cotton.

I think this would work fine with larger bellows, especially square ones - for tapers and smaller bellows (smaller ribs) I think thinner leather and marginally thicker stiffeners would be better if fitting into a folding field camera is essential (my Houghton barely closes, and it aint pretty). The way around this is to reduce the amount of ribs, but this in turn either reduces extension or the size of the viewable area inside. I have been told that a book bindery has a machine that can work leather down to any thickness, (but expect a hole sooner or later) but I think the better method is to leave the required bellows pattern at the local leather merchants and ask them to hold it up to the kid, lamb and kangaroo skins that come through which are around 0.4mm naturally but often not sized and/or shaped properly - if they find a fit then charge my card and give me a call

I can tell you I am confident enough to make a pretty nice 8x10 or larger sized bellows to any dimension and extension or dimension and compression (they can work against each other) - any smaller (such as this half plate) expect a pucker or odd bit here and there - that being said, completely light tight is a given
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    I'll report back on the method (which was surprisingly simple) if it stays true over time.
    That would be useful. Do you have any pictures of the bellows under construction?

I have made bellows before but I am always interested in other people's methods as I'm sure mine was not the best method.

I have access to sheets of various thicknesses of polyester and polycarbonate with and without adhesive applied and the use of a nice laser cutter to cut out things like stiffeners and I am just about to have a go at making a set of bellows for a Speed Graphic and perhaps another set for something else.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That would be useful. Do you have any pictures of the bellows under construction?

I have made bellows before but I am always interested in other people's methods as I'm sure mine was not the best method.

I have access to sheets of various thicknesses of polyester and polycarbonate with and without adhesive applied and the use of a nice laser cutter to cut out things like stiffeners and I am just about to have a go at making a set of bellows for a Speed Graphic and perhaps another set for something else.
    No photos taken - but some facts:

- I did use a form and will continue to do so (recommended)
    - I did the gluing 'inside out' as you'll see in some instructions - I've been thinking this might work against things for a couple of reasons, I'll experiment next time with an alternative
    - I used thin 'stiffeners', I find the real work they do is in fact in the areas where they are not, as in the folds, the flat areas are kept flat by the nature of the folds so no need to bulk up here, LF film is fine and 'at home' so to speak I used what felt like even thinner stuff at ~100um
    - I don't draw anything on the leather or inside cotton but a couple of initial registration points, the stiffener registration is formed on the paper model and kept in place by strips of masking tape... a picture is worth a thousand words here (sorry!)

The real money is in getting the geometry into your blood, its a strange hybrid of continuous and discrete maths problems to solve if you get to thinking about it - remembering that once its all perfect on paper there is still a large fudge factor anyway with all the construction slop (especially of the additive kind)... Every change will affect something

I can tell you that there are instructions out there that are just plain wrong - you'll get a bellows, but not quite right ya'know At the least redundant procedures and some which go about things correctly but use a half way there method explaining it that doesn't help you understand why what needs to happen is happening, and hence no chance to learn how to extrapolate the concepts and have a universal understanding...

I can see that typing up instructions would be almost harder work than the bellows themselves.

Perhaps tell me your process and I can chip in ?

Remember that I still have no idea of the long term prospects of my bellows - I'm interested to see how a bit of use will affect them

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Here is a view of the bottom showing the non overlapping seam:

You can see a little bump on each rib, but thats it... (the bottom is the face to the left, not the one directly in front, which is the left ... (from the back:rolleyes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your details.

The last set I made (only set which has ever found its way onto a camera) I made the correct way round. Then I read about making them inside out!

I think I am fairly proficient with the geometry. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and drawing them up on CAD with folds in one direction in one colour and the opposite direction in another then folding up full size paper models.

The nice thing about using the laser cutter for the stiffeners is that I can cut a full sheet of material - e.g a 100 micron polyester with adhesive on both sides, and whilst it is all on the bed of the laser cutter, I can remove the release liner un-covering the adhesive from the stiffeners only, leaving the waste material not sticky. The outer (or inner) material can then be laminated onto the stiffeners with a roller and when removed they will stick to the material in the right place and the waste of the stiffener material will fall away.

I tend to think that I could get away with fewer stiffeners. I think I only need one on one side of each fold rather than both sides but I will have to try that to prove it out. It may be o.k. with 5x4, possibly not with 8x10. I have noticed that some bellows just have rectangular stiffeners with the triangular areas at the ends where the material overlaps left un-stiffened.

I am going to experiment using some material from a changing bag for both inside and outside coverings. I don't think I'm proficient enough to experiment with thin leather yet!

Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have noticed that some bellows just have rectangular stiffeners with the triangular areas at the ends where the material overlaps left un-stiffened.
    Steve.
    Yup, in my camera I've done that but only the top and bottom (could have just as well been the sides, but I figured maybe less sag with the full stiffeners on the sides) - the reason being that around the corner folds there is a triangular area where when compacted there is a doubling of the amount of folds, this in effect becomes your compacting limit, so by truncating 2 sides worth of stiffeners you at least remove the doubling in thickness of that component... Which in reality when using thin stiffeners with respect to the other fabrics is pointless, but one day when I find a source of the thin leathers of yesterday or indeed the synthetics used nowadays then this will become more a factor for consideration. Until then I'm thinking I'll go back to full stiffener width with taper.

Hmmm, I don't know if one side only would be that pretty myself

As for your description of the adhesive and way you go about laying the stiffeners I think we're on the same page - different but sounds like the same thought process going into time savings and accuracy -

At the moment I'm making paper versions of bellows that have helical folds (spiral if tapered) and am trying but have failed so far to make one with not helical folds but helical edges (the zig-zaggy bits ... they'll spin around the bellows) - pointless really, for now - hoping a usual function may come to me though :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    At the moment I'm making paper versions of bellows that have helical folds (spiral if tapered) and am trying but have failed so far to make one with not helical folds but helical edges (the zig-zaggy bits ... they'll spin around the bellows) - pointless really, for now - hoping a usual function may come to me though :rolleyes:
    That sounds interesting. I can't quite visualise it at the moment though.

One day I am going to build a shed roof with a bellows design. Just take the top and one side and rotate by 45 degrees (and obviously make it much bigger!).

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Finished my Bender today. I used the unassembled kit I stumbled upon as a template to cut new pieces. I want to work on a better focusing rail/system, and found some good ideas on this thread..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finished my Bender 4x5 today....jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy38 View Post
    Hello ,
    Sorry , it's in french , but here is a homemade SLR camera .
    Looking only at the pictures gives an idea of work ; every part is built .
    The guy thinks he finishes at the end of this year . Now he says the most difficult is making the mirror system...
    Now, camera works!
    http://www.collection-appareils.fr/p...art=200#p75664
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 164-6431_IMG.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin