Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,329   Online: 724

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2125262728293031323334353637 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the three people who haven't seen it yet: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...al-images.html

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Front view of just finished 6 x 17, need to do final check for focus and then check for light leaks. Folded 2mm aluminum finish in leatherette with Australian redgum trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6x17 MkIII-11 - finished front.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice. I think my next one might be 6 x 17. Could you post some pictures of the interior and the pressure plate which I assume is mounted to the back. Your body construction looks similar to my 6 x 12 in layout and I am interested in seeing how other people do it.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not got any recent internal images, but well get some tomorrow for you. As for the pressure plate that why I asked about yours , as yet I have not done it , but last time I used some 6mm draft stop foam with double sided tape which worked quite OK. This time I would like something a bit more refined but I don't have access to flash machinery. So I need to think about it more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6x17 MkIII-11 - finished back.JPG  
    Last edited by SMBooth; 06-16-2011 at 02:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add image

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    As for the pressure plate that why I asked about yours .
    Oh yes!

Mine looks like this inside. Behind the two little captive bolts are a couple of leaf springs from an old Mamiya C33 camera. The plate design is copied from the Mamiya but stretched to cover the format.

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pano-back.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a inside shot, sans the pressure plate which is work in progress. Left that problem to last hoping it would solve itself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6x17 MkIII-11 - inside both.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's often my method of solving problems. If I ignore it and get on with doing something else, a solution often presents itself.

The Mamiya pressure plate mechanism is quite well designed and might be worth copying. Otherwise a rigid plate attached to the back by a piece of foam or sponge might work. You need a pair of rails for the film to run against then another pair of rails slightly higher so that when the pressure plate is up against them, there is just enough gap for the film and its backing paper.

How much space do you have between the film plane and the back?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rails are there, I do have a couple of pressure plate and springy bits from 2 35mm cameras that I was going to use but in my cleverness to put a hidden sliding counter hole I overlooked the problem that it gets in the way of one of the plates. I have about 6mm to play with depth wise and most likely go back to the foam strip idea (which work well last time), or I toyed with the idea of hinging the plate to the film box which you flip out of the way when loading film and just having a couple of spring epoxyed to the back to provide some light pressure when the lid was closed. One of the big problems is making sure the pressure plate is reliable in seating between the rails when you close the back up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another option, which I think you have the space for, is to have the pressure plate fixed rather than sprung. Load the film then put the pressure plate on top of it and fix it in place with some screws leaving just enough space for the film to transport smoothly. It doesn't need to be spring loaded, this is just a convention to make film loading easier and not having to have tight tolerances on the film rails to back/pressure plate dimensions.

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don't know if I've posted this here, but this is the latest revival of my fixed-focus 4x5, the Neretta Mk II:

Neretta Mk II, rev 03... by Scott --, on Flickr

Based on Sandeha Lynch's design, has a Graflok back and a (new to me) Linhof-select 90/6.8 Angulon on front. Mortise and tenon joinery in mahogany. Need to figure out a hood now...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin