Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,512   Online: 1301

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noexit
    I made this camera to test out my box jointing skills. I'm trying to design a 4x5 field camera now.

Aha! If I find time over my vacation break I have a similar project in mind. I have found a wooden cigar box from Guatamala or Hondouras that fits a 3x4 film holder perfectly. I plan on cutting a slot at the bottom to allow the film holder to slide in and plan on mounting a Speedioscope Jr shutter with a pinhole in the top. A couple of 1/4 - 20 inserts for the tripod mount and it should be done.

Nice job.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdavis
    These are pictures of my 20x24. . The total weight is just under 40 lbs.
    woah nelly!

I would love to take something like this out just to see the looks on peoples faces ... It would be a real conversation starter

I'm interested to know how it would work with wind, is the aluminium jointing stiff enough to cope ? ... or is this perhaps staying at home and doing studio work ?
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The aluminum is rigid enough to use in the field, which was always the intent. Strong wind will be a problem , but its a problem with any LF camera. I can't wait to try it this Spring.

-Greg
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg,
    nice use of 80/20, I've been toying with the idea of an 8x10, using 1.5in 80/20 for a monorail, with a rack gear within one of the slots, and using their delrin linear bearings.

erie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You don't need to use the 1.5 inch. This camera is from the one inch size and works well. I used the brass rack gears for extra strength , but delrin should work fine.

-Greg
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Aha! If I find time over my vacation break I have a similar project in mind. I have found a wooden cigar box from Guatamala or Hondouras that fits a 3x4 film holder perfectly. . .
    Here's a pic of my 4X5 from the back. A similar idea I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4X5.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the moment (saturday) it's cold, really, really cold. so I've shirked my house duties and started building a quickie 8x10, the rear standard, back and bed is finished, hopefully tomorrow I'll have the camera finished up and a set of bellows made for it. just a basic 8x10, rear tilt and rise, front rise, swing, shift and tilt. Basically a quick, not too fancy field camera just to get back into the swing of shooting 8x10 again.

erie

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis
    At the moment (saturday) it's cold, really, really cold. so I've shirked my house duties and started building a quickie 8x10, the rear standard, back and bed is finished, hopefully tomorrow I'll have the camera finished up and a set of bellows made for it. just a basic 8x10, rear tilt and rise, front rise, swing, shift and tilt. Basically a quick, not too fancy field camera just to get back into the swing of shooting 8x10 again.

erie
    Erie......how long are your days?.............I'd need about an 80 hour day to do all this!

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't say it was going to be pretty! actually I only worked abut 6 hours on it saturday, and as soon as the coffee kicks in, I'll go back at it today. At one time I had a B+J 8x10 Commerical (technically I still own it, if I can find the person that borrowed it, 3 lenses (165 angulon, 305 Caltar/ilex and a 355 G-claron), my 4x5 with a 180 Sironar-N, all my light meters, etc. Some friend, huh?) Some of the design of the B+J is clever, not elegant, but clever in a 'let's make lots of cameras cheap" way. the standards are dirt simple. On my camera, I'm just going with geared back focus, front focus is get it close and lock it, so that makes it a little easier, I'm not going for super accurate, just a box with film at one end and lens at the other, mostly plywood and some 1" thick cherry I had left over from a project a few years ago. Hell, I'm not even T&G'ing the bed, butt joints, glue and screw. If it wasn't so cold, I'd probably machine most of the parts out of .125" aluminum on my CNC router, but it's in an unheated buiding and it might hit 30 today. I haven't CNC'd my mill yet, and I hate manual milling. I fugure by time I get a few hundred sheets pulled, I'll have designed a far better field camera in my head and then I'll take some time to build it.

erie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    CNC huh .. home made ? I'm in the process of making one with steppers and servos (using both to see which I prefer working with) - firstly it's just going to be a dremel style quick and lightweight job but that will help me make a bigger one with proper milling bits ...

One thing I love about tools is that you can make better tools with them (because we add our hands and brains into the system I guess)
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin