Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,394   Online: 1009

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ciro-Flex TLR problem

My Ciro-Flex is getting a light leak that looks almost like light is bouncing from the inside of the camera and fogging any negatives taken in direct sunlight. All I see are a couple scratches on the paint inside the viewing chamber. Should I touch it up with flat black, do I need a lens hood, or is my logic just nuts?
    Thanks guys!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Where on the neg is the fogging occurring? Are you certain that you closed the window cover on the back of the camera?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt that the paint is your problem, though Diane may be right about the window. I have a simple rig to test this sort of thing out: a battery and flashlight bulb. Put this setup inside the camera and go into a dark room. You may have to sit in the dark for quite a while until your eyes adjust enought to discern tiny leaks.
    Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ciro-Flex TLR problem

Here are scans of two frames. Sorry about the crappy quality, but I think it shows what I'm talking about. If anyone knows what sort of light leak this would be, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neg1.jpg   neg2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just taking a guess here, but perhaps its leaking from around the lens (the upper side of the taking lens). Try shining a light through the inside of the camera like Nathan recommended, and see if any light leaks from around the lens.

André

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd agree -- the semicircular unfogged area is a shadow of the inside end of the lens, most likely. The shutter is probably not tight on the camera; open the back and you can see the retaining ring that should hold it in place. You'll need to hold the shutter (to keep it from rotating) while you use a spanner to tighten the ring. Then you may need to reset the focus (or maybe not, depending on what was done).

Either way, this is a strong indicator that someone has attempted to repair the camera, which could point to stuff being screwed up in other ways; it would be very prudent to check the focus and verify that the taking and viewing lenses are matched. Also, if there's a flash synch on the body (either shoe or socket) you should test where it's functioning, as the wire from the shutter might have been broken or disconnected.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin