Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,396   Online: 759

Shooter
    Multi Format

A quick question for camera restorers..

I am currently restoring a Kodak 2D 8 x 10, and what I am wondering, if anyone knows, was the brass on the 2D bright, or did kodak use a patina finish on the brass parts on this camera, I know out of all of the 2D cameras I have seen, the brass always seems to have a black patina on it, but did not know if that is just from years of aging, or if it was an orginal type finsh that Kodak used on them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dave, I looked in my two old catalogs. The only description in both is:

"The cameras are finished in flat, dark mohogony with dull metal trimmings. Extensions are of cherry."

And it sold for $63 to $68 in the early 30's ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rich,

Sounds like they may have used a flat laquer to finish the brass, and then over the years as they aged, they turn darker and blacker.

Thanks again

Any pictures in those Catalogs?

Would be neat to see.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While on the subject of the 2D - the one I restored came with a "block" that fits under the main base or extensions. I am not sure what purpose it was suppose to serve or how to use it. The Emipre State that I have does not have this additional piece and I am at a loss as to what to do with it. The "block" has a hole in it that I thought was for a tripod mount but the receiver is not there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Gord, the sliding block is a balance piece that can be moved to help balance the camera at various bellows extention lengths, the hole is for the brass tripod screw mount.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave - I guess the next step is to track down the tripod screw mount so it can be used.
    By the way the 2D GG that you sent me works like a dream - a lot better then the one that was on it. Combined with my newly mounted Wollensak convertable lens (thanks to some other members for helping me on that) I am off tomorrow to get some more images.

Gord

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Thanks Rich,

Sounds like they may have used a flat laquer to finish the brass, and then over the years as they aged, they turn darker and blacker.

Thanks again

Any pictures in those Catalogs?

Would be neat to see.

Dave
    Not much of a pic Dave. They mostly all used engravings back then, but here it is, if it works?

This one is from the "Medo Photo Supply Corp." in NY. It's either from 1938 or catalog #38. I think it's #38 as the catalog was supposed to be from '33 or '34, I'd have to look it up. The other one from '33 is pretty much identical to this one...

[IMG]Kodak 2D catalog 193x[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kodak2DCatalog1933.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin