Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,918   Posts: 1,521,937   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak 3a autographic 6x14 panorama

I made a 6x14 wide angle camera out of a kodak autographic, 3a model C. It works pretty good. Thought there might be some interest here.

The camera uses an obsolete film so I made spacers out of dowels to fit 120 film. That has been the only problem. The film transport tends to bind up at the end of the roll.

I added an ektra 101 lens but the lens on the autographc should work well. I also added an accessory shoe so I could mount a rangefinder on the camera.

The original film counter window is painted black but i use the "autographic" window instead. It is covered in ruby red film.

Pretty cool camera for not much money and just a little work. Here's the info:

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/postcard.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have one of these that has the extra back with the ground glass and a few film holders but no lens. This camera has really intrigued me and I found your site fasinating. Thanks for sharing.

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    I have one of these that has the extra back with the ground glass and a few film holders but no lens. This camera has really intrigued me and I found your site fasinating. Thanks for sharing.

Alan.
    Really? Care to trade it away if it's not being used? I have one of the autographic 3a's, but the lack of ground glass has turned me off and I know I won't be able to fashion a new one for it easily/cheaply.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist

Alan.
    hey menacing. How's the bellows in that camera? I have a source for a replacement bellows if you're interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Kevin, did you try the glass 'film flatness' fix that Bob Monaghan suggests? I have a 3A that's been sitting around waiting for me to get around to this.

Maybe now I'll get around to doing something with it. I'll ck the bellows and let you know if I need a new one .

Can you post a photo from that camera?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't use the glass fix. I tried but it is difficult to fix properly. If the glass is added then the back won't fit on. The plates attached to the back of the camera touch the glass and prevent it from closing. To do it I'd have to fit the glass so it fits right in the opening of the camera body. Nothing to support it there.

I guess I could have removed the film plates from the back door but than I'd have a bunch of rivet holes to deal with. Instead I added some foam strips to the door. Between the foam and the tightness of the film roll there doesn't seem to be any flatness issues.

I have only shot a couple rolls however and they have all been in bright sun at f16 or smaller.

If I get any problems using a wider opening I might try the glass approach or fashion some sort of supporting strips just on the edges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Roach
    hey menacing. How's the bellows in that camera? I have a source for a replacement bellows if you're interested.
    the bellows in my camera are pinholey--what is this source?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm also interested in a source for bellows. I have one of these that I've finished the conversion on with the exception of setting up the scale for focusing the lens (a 90mm f/6.8 Angulon), and another that I haven't started because the bellows self-destructed when I opened the camera.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would be interested in the source of the new bellows as well. This thread made me curious about using my Autographic 3A. I found that using the cap off of a bottle of cologne (1-1/4" tall) as a spacer on top of a 120 roll, works real well. Keeping the film aligned at the bottom of the camera body lines up the numbers on the paper backing perfectly. I fooled with it enough to see that lining up every multiple of 3, keeps the frames spaced well.

I just developed the film I ran through the camera today. The negs are very dense. I have a feeling the shutter speed is well off on the rapid recitlinear. It is an old Kodak ball bearing shutter. I will have to try it with my shutter tester to see.

I also played with an old Zeiss folder that takes 116 film. I used two nickles on top of the 120 spool, and the same 3 frame spacing. It has a glass plate where the film rides, and makes a unique negative with the corners clipped on the rectanglular negative.

This is fun! And to think these camera's were just sitting on a shelf!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HPorter
    I would be interested in the source of the new bellows as well. This thread made me curious about using my Autographic 3A. I found that using the cap off of a bottle of cologne (1-1/4" tall) as a spacer on top of a 120 roll, works real well. Keeping the film aligned at the bottom of the camera body lines up the numbers on the paper backing perfectly. I fooled with it enough to see that lining up every multiple of 3, keeps the frames spaced well.

I just developed the film I ran through the camera today. The negs are very dense. I have a feeling the shutter speed is well off on the rapid recitlinear. It is an old Kodak ball bearing shutter. I will have to try it with my shutter tester to see.
    I believe, in effect, you've gotten a fixed 1.25" rise built into this setup. Not that that's a bad thing...you should be able to shoot straight ahead and get reasonably straight buildings.

As to the shutters: Every one of these old shutters I've used has run at one speed for all of the marked "instantaneous" speeds, generally the slowest one. You might try a few frames using that assumption to see if your shutter is at least perdictable. Also, you can get a CLA on a LF shutter for a good price. Check out http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin