Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,096   Online: 1104

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Atten. handymen/women-Magic 823

I'm done beating around the bush. I insist that someone go into their garage workshops and produce this, today. Start with a folding 8x10 flat bed camera weighing no more than 5 lbs. It must have movements front and back. I'm thinking along the lines of the Toyo CF( i've unleashed half a dozen of these on our undergraduates and so far so good, except for the broken glass, sorry Dave) but 8x10 and the already mentioned movements. I don't care what you make it out of just make it tough. No! Gowland does not make what I want. I got the last 4 lb. 8x10 ,it's kinda, sorta, somewhat OK but it doesn't fold and and its a bit difficult to tighten down and no back movement. It must have a plastic, almost unbreakable focusing screen with built in fresnel. You must develop some sort of quick load 8x10 holder and film pack. One holder a couple of film packs, shoot all day. The tripod that I would like you to design could mimic the Gitzo 1228 but I want lighter and collapsible to 12". Oh, and put a compatable ball head on it. Pack all this gear in a very lightweight nylon(?) backpack. The only thing that I ask for the backpack(no wheels by the way) is that it be light, carry on size and that there be two internal or external refrigerated pockets. We want to keep our film nice and chilly. The second refrigerated pocket can be smaller because the only thing that you would carry in there would be an assortment of chocolate bars and no one wants melted chocolate in their camera bag. I think that will do it. You may make suggestions. When you have completed this job send me a line. I would expect it to take no more than 2 or 3 days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What happened? You just won the lottery?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You want fries with that?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want some of the coffee he is drinking !

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds like a job for NASA...but don't expect to see each and every attempt to be successful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry, a bit late, just out of my personal carpenter's workshop in the cellar to fullfill your wishes. Now it's ready as ordered. Just send 15,000$ via PayPal and two hours later you will get it.

Still without breath
    Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you want it wake you up in the morning for best light and develop and print also?

Please paypal $5 mil to my address and I'll get right on it (I'll even gold leaf the damn thing for you.)

On a serious note: what the hell is this tread for?

Steve
    magic823
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think the closest thing would be a Canon 20D.

So this is why people are switching to digital huh?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like you have the ultralight backpacker's version of the 8x10" Gowland. I've got a slightly heavier older version of the 8x10" that has rear swing and tilt, and I've replaced most of the knobs with bigger, more comfortable ones that are easier to tighten. I've got quite a few spares if you're interested, and if your current knobs are 1/4"-20 thread. Some of them may need to be cut down, and the ones on the front standard will also have to be filed a bit just to taper the screw tips so they hold down the lensboard properly.

I've found the easiest way to deal with the 8x10" Gowland in the field is to leave the rail on the tripod, and the camera in the backpack. I carry it in an ordinary padded knapsack designed for laptop computers and pack it with the rail removed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can save weight and money by cutting one refrigerated pocket. Use the Hersheys tropical chocolate bars. They will not melt on your camera and clothes. You can buy them through outfitting stores.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin