Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,354   Online: 938

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I've heard maple is hard on cutting tools...have you experienced this?
    Hi,
    No, maybe only compared to pine or fir but not any of the other hardwoods, expecially cherry or the like. Sharp tools fare best!!..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Zone VI made 5 pear wood cameras as a test run for a special addition camera. Pear wood at the time was $25 a board foot. When we decided to do a run of more camera the wood could not be found and the wood that was available was in the $50 range. Pear wood is a very stable wood. It has fine grain and is very stable it has been use to make ship sextants. I have a piece from the first run it is 8/4 and 20 inches wide.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If anyone is interested in trying some European Pear, this outfit lists some stock at about $12-13 per bd/ft... http://www.righteouswoods.net/woodmenu.html ..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone. Very interesting information. No wonder I haven't come across a Pearwood Zone VI camera with only 5 being built!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Large Format

French Pearwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard T Ritter
    Zone VI made 5 pear wood cameras as a test run for a special addition camera. Pear wood at the time was $25 a board foot. When we decided to do a run of more camera the wood could not be found and the wood that was available was in the $50 range. Pear wood is a very stable wood. It has fine grain and is very stable it has been use to make ship sextants. I have a piece from the first run it is 8/4 and 20 inches wide.
    When I bought my Zone VI a few years ago the man that sold it to me told me it was one of the pear wood models. How can I find out for sure? The color of the wood is like no other Zone VI I've ever seen - it's much lighter in color that the cherry and mahogany cameras I've seen. It's been nearly impossible to find matching lens boards.

Wes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used stinkwood for my cameras. It is light, strong, cheap and durable. Finishes well, has no pores and no bark inclusions so noseoil is the best finish. tim

But seriously folks: Try this guy for some nice hardwoods. He has a selection of old growth hardwood from the midwest. A friend of many years and is honest as the day is long. Tell him what you need and be specific about dimension. Give it a try and please, don't ask for "French Pearwood" or you may just get stinkwood from "Pecker-wood International" themaingov@yahoo.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Mesquite...America's finest "exotic"

When Barry Young finally comes out with a set of ULF plans I'll be making mine out of Mesquite. I've worked a little bit with this stuff and it's amazing. Super stable, very dense and totally beautiful. It's a bit difficult to get in larger widths but I think it would be perfect for camera parts. My other choice would be some type of rosewood from South America.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good site for seeing the qualities of wood compared to each other is http://www.woodworkerssource.net/index.php

You'll get a grin out of purpleheart compared to others.

I'm building my wife's new 8x10 out of willow. Mine's out of walnut. I thought about teak or zebrawood, but since its my first run at building a camera I went with a cheaper wood.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    WKF20500- I would love to see some pix of your Pearwood Zone VI! Was the brass gold-plated by any chance? Does your camera have a serial number? Fred Picker talks about the Pearwood Camera in one of his '92 videos going so far as to shoot a portrait of his #1 camera-maker with a big piece of it as part of the lesson.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, pearwood has always been a popular choice for carving and instrument making in Europe. Quite a lot of medieval polychome alterpiece figures are pearwood, and the renaissance craze for bas relief wood portraits produced some stunning pieces. A lot of viol necks and pegboards are pear too. It's obviously stable once it's settled down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin