Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,415   Online: 851

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    WKF20500- I would love to see some pix of your Pearwood Zone VI! Was the brass gold-plated by any chance? Does your camera have a serial number? Fred Picker talks about the Pearwood Camera in one of his '92 videos going so far as to shoot a portrait of his #1 camera-maker with a big piece of it as part of the lesson.
    Here a a few pictures of my Zone VI. Serial number is 4337. If you have any idea of how I can check the history of the camera, or verify what wood it's made of I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SideView.jpg   BackView.jpg   Close_Up.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    That certainly looks like pearwood to me and it is absolutely beautiful. I also am certain that the hardware has been plated. That is not the color of raw brass, even when it is freshly machined. It has much more brilliance than non-plated brass even if it is lacquered. Man, if cameras were jewelry that one would be made by tiffany. Truly a wonderful expression of the camera makers art.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Gim

From the 1991-1992 Zone VI catalog:

"We found six planks of Swiss pear from old fruit trees in Swiss orchards. It is truly exquisite; a hard smooth pale tan wood exhibiting a slight pinkish cast in some lights. Cameras made from these woods are limited in number, so please inquire as to price and delivery if you would like something very special."

From View Camera magazine,Jan-Feb 2003, article by Richard T. Ritter

"1991 came with the shocking news that Zone VI was sold to Calumet Photographic. It was also the year that we introduced gold-plated hardware. We made about 1800 of these cameras and their serial numbers are in the 3,000 and 4,000 range. The concept of goldplated hardware started with the idea of doing a special run of cameras in honor of the 20th anniversary of Zone VI."

Hope this helps.
    Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wes,

Thanks for the Pearwood pix. Beautiful camera! The chances of another 4x5 view camera being built out of pearwood with gold plated brass hardware is about a zillion to one. If you decide to sell it, I hope you give your fellow APUGers first crack at it!

Jim-
    Thanks for the magazine quotes. Someone should write a book!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A beautiful camera Wes, almost seems a shame to take it out and use it! Also many good links and information to hardwood dealers. Thanks!

Regards,
    John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin