Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 752

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Home-made light meter

I would guess that it wouldn't be difficult to improvise an extinction light meter using neutral density filters.
    John Ossi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete
    Thanks for the great link. I didn't even know that was out there.
    I can't even recall myself how I came across them. They're not available retail in Australia but the distributor here was really helpful and sold me a few at wholesale prices for which I am extremely appreciative.

They're a very easy chip to use - especially if you have a microcontroller but even then it's not necessary. Output is linearly proportional to light so, in the case of the TCS230, a decrease of half the output frequency correlates to a one stop increase in light. For a really simple light meter you could probably use one of the light-to-voltage chips and connect the output to either a small moving coil or lcd type panel meter. A few capacitors/resistors, a power supply and the calibration of a reference point and you're done. Not a lot different to the usual CdS type amplifier but it takes care of linearity issues.

Roger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those chips seem REALLY useful. Roger, what'd they charge you for those chips in small quantities?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Those chips seem REALLY useful. Roger, what'd they charge you for those chips in small quantities?
    I paid AUD$5.33 (~US$4) per chip about 18 months ago and I bought five of them to distribute the small shipping cost (~AUD$3) although they would have sold me less. I was expecting them to be more expensive.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Diy Meter

Why are screwing around with an external meter for your Holga. With a little modifications, you could put one inside your camera.

http://www.textklick.demon.co.uk/leicattl.html

Enjoy this site. This guy is my hero.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That never even ocurred to me...what a great idea!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Why are screwing around with an external meter for your Holga. With a little modifications, you could put one inside your camera."

With a Holga there wouldn't be the problem you would normally have with a between-the-lens shutter when trying to meter TTL. You could calibrate the meter to read TTLL: through the light leaks.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL Helen, the scary thing is that that might actually work. :-)

Though, to be honest, I have a new Holga, and it's remarkable light-leak free. Of the two rolls (24 shots) that I took in New York last month, only two frames have leaks.

Though, anyway, making your own TTL meter sounds like a pretty good idea. I actually might buy another Holga and try to build something in. obviously, TTL isn't going to work well due to its design. Though due to its spirit of imperfection, something could be placed near the lens or viewfinder on the outside of the camera, with the electronics squeezed in underneath one of the frame masks; just put the LED right up to the viewfinder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin