Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,621   Online: 875
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    768
    Images
    36
    Dear friends,
    first of all, thank you for your comprehensive reply! I think that the sticky tape thing won't do in my case because of my sense of beautiful - believe me, I would not be able to sleep if I know that there's a piece of tape glued over optical surface Edmund Scientific mirror, mentioned on Graflex site, sounds OK - I can cut a piece of needed dimensions, but again I'm in trouble To order it, I should transfer the money somehow to EdSci, not an easy thing. Or I should ask someone to buy it for me and to send it here, paiyng him via Western Union and losing some 20% of total price. I will try first one thing: unless I'm mistaken, one of FED rangefinders definitely contains a half-silvered beam splitter element, so if it's big enough why not ask my friend camera repairman? He would know it for sure, maybe I can get hands on one.

    As for re-silvering on order, first of all, I should master the process first - I love to do my job and be completely sure of the result, especially when it's a serious thing used by others

    Thanks again,
    Zhenya

  2. #12
    medform-norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    863
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    I think that the sticky tape thing won't do in my case because of my sense of beautiful - believe me, I would not be able to sleep if I know that there's a piece of tape glued over optical surface

    Thanks again,
    Zhenya
    Zhenya, I forgot you are a person who cares deeply about the cosmetics of your gear. Suddenly I remember some months ago you didn't want to take off the leatherette of a Voigtländer Vito to get to the shutter. Instead you wanted to tackle the problem from the inside (which seemed impossible to me). Whatever happened to your Vito project anyway?

    Recutting beam splitter glass from another camera is worth a try - but take extreme care. This is very fragile stuff and you can easily damage the layer that does the beam splitting as well as break the glass. Good luck, Norm

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    768
    Images
    36
    Hi Norm,

    yep, I really care about the cosmetics - some years of camera repair for people taught me in some ways I love clean and carefully made and repaired cameras, so a piece of tape in viewfinder scares the hell out of me

    My Vito works fine now - I had to disassemble it quite seriously, I wonder why the mechanics of it are so complicated! It's okay for Germans, too - if we take Leica's focal plane shutter... There's one big obstacle - a need of special key to unscrew the retaining ring, but I did overcome it somehow, then filed there two regular slots. Damn, I hate such land mines

    I am sure that the FED mirror should be about the right size or even a bit smaller - but I can't exclude the opportunity to ask friends to buy the glass from Edmund for me. I got a diamond pen and skilled hands, so cutting it would be not a problem for me - after all, I was cutting 18*24 cm glass photo plates for two years, making plenty of 6*9 from them for our electron microscope

    Cheers,
    Zhenya

    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Zhenya, I forgot you are a person who cares deeply about the cosmetics of your gear. Suddenly I remember some months ago you didn't want to take off the leatherette of a Voigtländer Vito to get to the shutter. Instead you wanted to tackle the problem from the inside (which seemed impossible to me). Whatever happened to your Vito project anyway?

    Recutting beam splitter glass from another camera is worth a try - but take extreme care. This is very fragile stuff and you can easily damage the layer that does the beam splitting as well as break the glass. Good luck, Norm

  4. #14
    medform-norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    863
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    a piece of tape in viewfinder scares the hell out of me
    well, you wouldn't actually *see* the piece of tape and it wouldn't be in the viewfinder but on the beam splitter itself. But for you, *knowing* it is in there must be hard enough. We do lots of repairs too, but mostly for functional purposes, good cosmetics are not going to make the pictures better. A very German point of view.

    Glad to hear you got the better of the Vito. Having fun with it? It's a really nice little camera. My dad had one and used it until he died in the nineties. Made some very beautiful shots with it too! Great lens, the little Skopar. How's yours?

    Regards, Norm

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    768
    Images
    36
    Thanks, Norm! The very knowledge about the tape inside will make me shudder... and I'm somehow German too, to be precise, a German Jew aus Stuttgart My ancestors left for Moscow in 1908, so it was about being between hammer and anvil I like practical approach, but the tool should be and look nice

    Vito is a real fun with its tiny Color-Scopar, and the exposure meter still works! MAybe Gossen did it for Voigthlaender?

    Cheers,
    Zhenya

  6. #16
    medform-norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    863
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    Thanks, Norm! The very knowledge about the tape inside will make me shudder... and I'm somehow German too, to be precise, a German Jew aus Stuttgart My ancestors left for Moscow in 1908, so it was about being between hammer and anvil I like practical approach, but the tool should be and look nice

    Vito is a real fun with its tiny Color-Scopar, and the exposure meter still works! MAybe Gossen did it for Voigthlaender?

    Cheers,
    Zhenya
    It appears as though someone has taken my idea for repairing beam splitters to eBay to make some petty cash. Oh well, good luck to him! All that effort to make 5$. And I don't think he's going to send millions of them either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin