Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,998   Online: 696

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The lens is currently soaking. I may need to make a special spanner. That green stuff is awesome. It's like red Loctite. Holy crap is it tight.
    To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, — that is genius.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried every soak I could and had very little success. A drop of Liquid Wrench, a few taps on the lens to set up vibrations, repeated three times over 12 hours, and then a steady pressure with rubber gloves for about three minutes (seemed like forever) finaly got some movement. After disassembly, a little naptha took the residual Liquid Wrench off and I put one drop of a teflon based lubricant back into the threads with a small brush. Seems to have worked.

Mine is a Solinar. Once I got it working it showed itself to be worth every one of the $25 bucks it cost me at the junk shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom Hoskinson recommends 99% isopropyl alcohol applied only to the threads, and often enough to keep them wet until it soaks through enough for some pressure to release the threads. There are specialty metal and synthetic material friction wrenches that you could find and use from a supplier of camera repair tools, but that's probably a bit over budget unless you're going to do this repeatedly.

I soaked one of my folder lenses in lighter fluid, not recommended by more experienced people than I, as it can deteriorate the coatings and cause cemented elements to release. I got lucky with mine, but it still took over 2 days of soaking to get the green cement, I mean grease, to release, and it took some of the black finish off the lens cells.

Patience is a virtue. I've heard from people who have used too much force and cracked lenses.

I haven't tried Liquid Wrench, but it sounds promising.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've already done some mechanical damage. I truly know better- but used channel locks and beat the crap out of the parts. And they are still locked. They are salvageable but this has been a true learning experience. An exercise in patience.
    To redeem myself, I dug my old Foldex out and cleaned and adjusted it the correct way. I had written that camera off due to it scratching the film during transport. As a sort of penance for damaging the Agfa, I am determined to get them both in shape. Yeah, I'm nuts. I'll keep you posted.
    To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, — that is genius.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I got the parts apart. The elements are o.k. but the outer piece is a bit out of round. I got all the green grease off. It will all go back together fine after a little tweaking. Thanks very much for all the advice! I promise I won't be so hamfisted next time.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did the same to a 'cemented' Isolette just a couple weeks ago. I used 99% Isopropyl alcohol and it turned the hard green stuff into rubbery green stuff and I was able to unscrew the front element by hand.
    Used wax paper to reset the infinity focus, checked it at a couple measured distances close up, and will get the first roll of film back in a couple days. Fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin