Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,446   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd dig full plate (6x8) too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    7x17- field of course

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    24x30 - cm of course. This "lost format" is perfect - smaller and thus lighter than 11x14", visibly larger than 8x10", and the narrower aspect ratio of the German plate sizes (9x12, 13x18, 18x24, 24x30).

A full "folding Reisekamera" would be stretching the limits of portability, so I'd settle for a lighter field camera type. Such a camera would need about 60cm of bellows to be usable at close quarters with a 380mm "normal lens", so the bellows shouldn't cause problems with wide lenses either.

These cameras do occasionally show up on ebay, sometimes in the Reisekamera configuration. It was said to be the largest camera one could practically bring on a journey, which really says more about the owner's ability to hire porters than about the weight of the camera...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When day-dreaming I long for a 12x12 field camera. I don't suppose I would ever pay for one were it available though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    8x10" or 18x24 cm. We recently bought a large thornton pickard focal plane shutter this size with a spring back and GG. This is the starting around which we want to build something like a folding field camera. We're slowly assembling ideas on construction, parts to be used, parts to be bought etc. SO it's another long term project.

Other than that, there are plans to convert a Rollei SL26 to take 35mm - a major challenge and possibly not doable - and in the past we've frankensteined several cameras with polaroid lenses grafted on 6x9 roll film backs - great for automatic exposure snapshots with flash! Another dream is to convert a Pola SX70 to take roll film: auto exposure plus autofocus on 6x9, it would be a fun thing. A japanese guy is trying the same and it's not easy constructionwise. Something one wishes one had more time and money for.

These are just some of our plans/dreams and yes, if wishes were horses, we'd need a proper corral to keep them all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I may be coming down with Stafford's disease.

I was recently given a nice doorstop, in the form of a 3"/4.5 Pacific Optical lens. Its an oversize 3"/4.5 Biogon. John has one and has gone to a lot of trouble to build a shutter into his. The last I heard he was trying to cobble up a fairly conventional but very strong 4x5 monorail camera for his beast.

If I ever decide that I have to use mine, I'll try to mutilate a 4x5 Speed Graphic into a monorail camera with back focusing. Also to make up a set of Waterhouse stops for the lens. But I don't feel much pressure to move on this project; the lens is the best doorstop in the house. Much, much classier than a cinder block, not much lighter.

I'm feeling a little more pressure to build bracketry to hold my overweight oversize 600/9 Apo Ronar out in front of my little tandem camera. But not enough pressure yet to do anything about it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    10X16...the same aspect ratio as the 7X 11 and the 12X20...field camera of course.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You folks are an absolute goldmine of information. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. This is information I needed right away and you all responded. So far it looks like the next camera to hit the drawing board will be a 7x17 format. This surprised me. Now I have to try to lay my hands on a 7x17 film holder to take measurements from. The film holder is what determines all the other dimensions of the camera.

Thanks again APUGgers.

Barry Young
    cameramaker.com
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure that 7x17" holders are standardized. I'd recommend buying an S&S holder from Quality Camera, since those are readily available new and won't be as costly as the other new options.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was wondering about that. Just gives me more incentive to produce them myself. I have had several wooden holders which I took apart to see what made them so expensive. The mystery was buried deep inside the holders I disassembled. It was simply that people like dough. Making film holders is not rocket science. Maybe I will make some and then design a camera around them.

Thank you

[QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb]I'm not sure that 7x17" holders are standardized. QUOTE]
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin