Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,150   Online: 859

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

What format would you like to build?

Hello members and guests:

The time has come to start the next camera project. The 8x10 plans have finally been completed and are merely awaiting plotting ($$$$$) and then shipment to the printer. After I get a few customers parts out the door I will begin designing the next camera plans and kits very soon. Before I do, I would love to hear from anyone considering building a camera or not. What ould you like to build? What format? What type (folding field camera, monorail, flatbed, rigid body? Any preferences will be duly noted. Thanks for your help people. It is more helpful than you might imagine.

Barry Young
    cameramaker.com
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    7x17 folding field camera w/ at least 28" of bellows.

edit: I should add since Alex made the suggestion, 8"x20" would also be fine with me
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    8x20 or 7x17, both folding field cameras.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 2 votes for 7x17 folding field cameras and 2 votes for 8x20 folding field cameras. This is very much easier than trying to figure it out for myself, thank you.

Barry Young
    cameramaker.com
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

ditto

Barry-7x17 would be the way to go for me....
    Peter

Images
    5x12 but 7x17 would work too.

I love the ratio of 5x12 and started to draw up plans but do not have the time to make it to fruition. It would need long bellows as I want to use it for small things.

Someday, Maybe.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

filmholders

Barry-the real drawback is the price of filmholders. LOL it is something that needs to be exact so hence the price. I just wish there was a way to get the price down for us dreamers....
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If wishes were horses...

11x14 and/or 12x20 field versions with a way to focus and still look at the ground glass. I don't have long arms.

I'll start saving for holders now

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Barry,

I'm hoping to build a full-plate (6.5" x 8.5") single-lens reflex along the lines of an old old Graflex. I want to use the camera for wetplate collodion because for one thing, the mirror reversal shows me exactly what will image on the ambrotype/tintype. The resultant image is reversed laterally on the plate and it really helps to see it flipped inside the camera when composing. I also like the fact that I shoot from a low camera angle/waist-level with such a design.

Since wetplate exposures are so long I have no need for a focal-plane or leaf shutter. I just basically want the chimney viewer, a way to flip the mirror out of the way quickly, and then let the light come through the lens. I've been using a Graflex 4x5 with a quarter-plate adapter in an old film pack holder and it works great. My shutter is a black beret which I put over the lens as I flip the mirror up. This setup works so well that I want to supersize it to do the larger plates.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been thinking 7x17 for a while.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin