Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,636   Online: 1133

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aluminum foil eh? I bet you'd get some REALLY interesting looks doing that in public!

- Randy

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Aluminum foil eh? I bet you'd get some REALLY interesting looks doing that in public!

- Randy
    There are always a few fashion victims who will envy him for how well his bellows matches his hat...

I had in fact considered draping the dark cloth over the bellows before pulling the dark slide, but was concerned about the weight inducing a sag that would cause vignetting. The fact the current owner has made successful images with it suggests it's an overall translucency rather than one or more localized leaks; this is a problem for which Aletta had a reputation, I'm afraid. However; he usually shoots Efke 25, and I tend much more toward ISO 100 or faster films. I quite like Fomapan 100 and 320TXP, the latter of which especially would require some pretty fast work with the dark slide to avoid significant fog.

Bellows repair kits, flexible fabric paint, etc. are high on the list of possibilities, especially when not trying to patch an existing hole. I like the idea of a Velcro fastened black sleeve for the bellows, and I agree I could probably do that for around $5, starting at the remnant table of the local Jo-Ann Fabrics. Unfortunately, my sewing machine got left behind when I moved from Seattle. Maybe I could do the job with basting glue...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald,

You could probably skip the sewing and use velcro with adhesive backing, or perhaps some fabric glue... I think JoAnn's used to carry that sort of stuff (check their glue aisle).

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald, actually a needle and thread with some quick loop stitching should be more than enough to hold the velcro on, I don't think the glue would hold out over the long run, but you could use it, then let dry and run a quick loop stitch right down the middle, in actuality, I doubt you would need a heavy cloth to help with the small amount of leakage your bellows may have, I picked up some light duty black material that I know would work and it folds up small enough to fit in a pocket, I use a 3 foot by 4 foot piece for a dark cloth and it works great, I think I paid .50 cents off the remnant table, and have been using it for about 3 years now..

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All my bellows are thread bare. I just use a big dark cloth wraped around the whole camera, and sometimes wrap a second cloth around the bellows. Never been a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    There are always a few fashion victims who will envy him for how well his bellows matches his hat...
    My bet is that the foil bellows, combined with the foil hat, would keep people from walking up to ask, "Is that a Hasselblad?" :rolleyes:
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ha!

I had in fact considered draping the dark cloth over the bellows before pulling the dark slide, but was concerned about the weight inducing a sag that would cause vignetting.
    I would be concerned if the bellows were really extended, but could you put a wooden dowel across the standards to support the cloth? I drape mine over my 4x5 due to pinholes, but the extension is not so much that the cloth reall puts any weight on it. The dowel could be sewn into a sort of 'bellows sleeve' like what has been mentioned earlier and it might keep the weight off the bellows...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald, If you are interested in making a new bellows here is a good link that describes materials, glue etc. --- Bellows

The adhesive should be flexible when it drys. Even if you do not go the "build" route, there are suggestions which you may find helpful with your repair.

I hope it works for you.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Bostich and Sullivan carry a bellows repair kit. I have used it to paint an entire Burke and James 5x7 bellows and it works just fine now. Give it a few days to dry and a light dusting of talc then blow off the remaining talc and it doesn't stick.

hi donald -

equinoxphotographic also sells bellows repair stuff.
    i haven't used either brand (B&S or EP ) so i can't tell you
    which is better/ worse ...

good luck!
    -john

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    My bet is that the foil bellows, combined with the foil hat, would keep people from walking up to ask, "Is that a Hasselblad?" :rolleyes:
    Question is, Ralph, whether that will be enough to offset the ones who come up with matching hats and offer secret handshakes, recognition signs, passwords, etc., or just ask you if your hat is keeping the voices out any better than theirs...

...and *then* ask if that's a Hasselblad. :rolleyes:
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin