Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 688

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Donald, actually a needle and thread with some quick loop stitching should be more than enough to hold the velcro on, I don't think the glue would hold out over the long run, but you could use it, then let dry and run a quick loop stitch right down the middle, in actuality, I doubt you would need a heavy cloth to help with the small amount of leakage your bellows may have, I picked up some light duty black material that I know would work and it folds up small enough to fit in a pocket, I use a 3 foot by 4 foot piece for a dark cloth and it works great, I think I paid .50 cents off the remnant table, and have been using it for about 3 years now..

Dave
    Okay, I have a bunch of needles around anyway (for making pinholes), and thread is cheap... Though I was thinking it would be handy to hem the cloth so it doesn't shed long black threads everywhere...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald, may I suggest fabric glue once more? When I used to work at JoAnn's I often heard suggestions for using fabric or tacky glue along the edges of a piece of fabric to prevent sheding.

At any rate, I have never sown a thing in my life, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Question is, Ralph, whether that will be enough to offset the ones who come up with matching hats and offer secret handshakes, recognition signs, passwords, etc., or just ask you if your hat is keeping the voices out any better than theirs...

...and *then* ask if that's a Hasselblad. :rolleyes:
    You may need the UQD for that (Universal Question Discourager): a .44 magnum on the hip combined with a jacket that says, "Do you feel lucky, punk? Go ahead and ask if it's a Hasselblad".
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    You may need the UQD for that (Universal Question Discourager): a .44 magnum on the hip combined with a jacket that says, "Do you feel lucky, punk? Go ahead and ask if it's a Hasselblad".

He says with a Clint in his eye as he strolls with his tripod down the streets of West Eastwood.

A Carmel colored joke.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I dont know that I have ever made a 7 min exposure in daylight. That said I am not sure I would fog film at 1/2 to 3.5 minutes. I would be willing to run some tests first.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I dont know that I have ever made a 7 min exposure in daylight. That said I am not sure I would fog film at 1/2 to 3.5 minutes. I would be willing to run some tests first.
    My take is, if it fogs Efke 25 at 7 minutes (he said it read 53 out of 255 with his digital densitometer), it'll fog Fomapan 100 in under 2 minutes, which can be rushing things a bit if one is waiting for a lull in the breeze to make a 2 second exposure (after all, you'll generally have the dark slide out while you wait, so you can push the cable release when the moment seems right). Load Classic 400 and you'll be below 30 seconds for that same level -- much below 30 seconds after accounting for the change in reciprocity failure; I'm concerned whether I'd even be able to pull the slide, expose, and reinsert the slide fast enough to avoid significant fog on ISO 400. And I *like* fast film...

But there are enough low-tech solutions available that I should be able to use one or more to get me through until I can replace the Aletta bellows with one made from properly opaque material, or else trade up from the Aletta to something more capable.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm RF

bellows repair

I have an Aletta bellows also. It looked like a lamp shade when I put a light bulb inside. I ended up using a couple coats of black fabric paint. This is the stuff found in craft stores to decorate t-shirts. I haven't tried your test, but I didn't see any light coming thruogh after I painted mine.
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric, I already have a small bottle of that stuff that I bought to try to repair a plate camera bellows that was cracking at all the folds (didn't work and the bellows turned out to be an undersize replacement instead of original anyway). I know exactly what you mean, and can easily get more (the flexible kind, not the 3-D variety, is what's wanted). If you took it from "lamp shade" to "blackout curtain" with two coats that's probably good enough; it doesn't have to stand in the sun from dawn to dusk without fogging, just needs to be able to last 5 or 10 minutes with ISO 400 film in direct sun, as might occur if I'm waiting for a lull in the breeze, or a fish to jump so I can catch the rings, or some other "decisive moment" in large format style -- without the film looking like I overdid a preflash.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe it's my night for "2 cents"?

I had a bellows here I was going to refinish. With my background and wanting to have a decent looking finished product, I bought a can of vinyl spray paint at the auto store. I used to use it on dashboards, seats, etc and it's tuff stuff. Also comes in just about any color you may want.

Since I never did get around to that bellows, I'll only offer my thoughts...

With a careful taping job, the bellows wouldn't even have to be removed, but is recommended.
    Two or three light coats should do the job.
    Wait a week for it to dry despite what it may say on the can.
    Give it a good coat of lemon Pledge when dry and fold it in/out several times.

Since almost all post wwII bellows were vinyl covered, recoating them with a vinyl spray seems pretty natural. It's also quick, easy and cheap. And as long as you know how to handle a spray can, it will look much better than anything brushed on...

P.S. Make sure to wipe down the entire bellows with alchohol before spraying or it might not stick. I've made that mistake before on spot repairs...

Now I'm out of cents...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin