Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,227   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Suggestions for "translucent" bellows

I may be coming into an Aletta 4x5, very lightly used, in exchange for some work on a couple other cameras. The current owner has recently tested the bellows (at the suggestion of a third party) and discovered that 7 minutes in full sun with a blank lens board in place will significantly fog Efke 25.

I know the "best" solution is to build a new bellows to replace the translucent one, and that's my long term plan, but I can easily see it taking a year or two to get to that kind of project (tapered bellows, which is more complex to make than a straight one), and I won't want to wait that long if I get this camera. Meantime, suggestions for adding opacity to the existing bellows without greatly reducing compression, flexibility, or durability would be welcome. I've been thinking of spray paint, perhaps a "bumper flex" type from an auto parts store, or using spray adhesive to apply a layer of black plastic of the type used for inner packaging of film and enlarging paper. And, of course, there's always "shoot indoors and minimize dark slide open time."

What other options exist?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald,

Why not just get a piece of black cloth and wrap the bellows with it and sew a piece of velcro along the bottom edge to hold it together, that way when shooting you could just wrap around the bellows then pull them off to pack everything up, I bet you could do it for around $5.00.....and would not run the risk of making the bellows sticky and such.

Dave

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Paint it with Liquid Latex - available from good fetish shops anywhere (or ebay). Follow the instructions for making it "non-sticky" after drying.

-- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Paint it with Liquid Latex - available from good fetish shops anywhere (or ebay). Follow the instructions for making it "non-sticky" after drying.

Dare I ask why you are familiar with good fetish shops? And what is it that differentiates the "good" fetish shops from the bad or merely mediocre? Damnit Ole, we need answers!

As for the bellows I have no idea, but perhaps draping it with a stout piece of black cloth as Dave mentions. If it take a matter of minutes to fog the film, you don't have huge leaks there anyway, that might just be enough.

Paul.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Dare I ask why you are familiar with good fetish shops? And what is it that differentiates the "good" fetish shops from the bad or merely mediocre? Damnit Ole, we need answers!
    It's very simple: Good fetish shops have Liquid Latex in stock - and not blue, red or transparent, but black. As for how I'm familiar with them - why, they carry Liquid Latex!
    Last edited by Ole; 12-15-2005 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Check spelling before posting next time?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    It's very simple: Good fetish shops have Liquid Latex in stock - and not blue, red or transparent, but black. As for how I'm familiar with them - why, they carry Liquid Latex!
    Thanks for the laugh... I needed a good giggle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bostich and Sullivan carry a bellows repair kit. I have used it to paint an entire Burke and James 5x7 bellows and it works just fine now. Give it a few days to dry and a light dusting of talc then blow off the remaining talc and it doesn't stick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Bostich and Sullivan carry a bellows repair kit. I have used it to paint an entire Burke and James 5x7 bellows and it works just fine now. Give it a few days to dry and a light dusting of talc then blow off the remaining talc and it doesn't stick.
    And if nothing else, you can probably get the talc at a bondage shop so that you still have an excuse to go there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    And if nothing else, you can probably get the talc at a bondage shop so that you still have an excuse to go there.
    And I thought Bostich & Sullivan were one of those good bondage shops Ole mentioned, seeing that they sell something similar to black liquid latex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Short of repairing the bellows, as suggested, the dark cloth drape might work. You might also do what some IR shooters do - wrap the bellows in aluminum foil once set up. (Some bellows are visible-light tight, but not IR opaque.) The choice really depends on where the bellows are leaking, and to what degree.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin