Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,380   Online: 837

Shooter
    Multi Format

Outside filmholder dimensions bugger Belgian camera builder

Hi all,

just a message/reminder to you who believe that most filmholders are made in the same factory:

The outside width of 4x5" Fidelity Elite and Riteway filmholders differs 0.065mm.
    [CODE]Fidelity Elite = 12.07 cm
    Riteway = 12.005 cm[/CODE]

That's a small allowable margin, you say?

Not to me. I own a bunch of Fidelity holders and only one Riteway and decided to use the Riteway to model a new back for my camera. If it ever got damaged, I would not whine about it.
    I must have been more precise, in shaping the film holder slot, compared to the back I built last summer because it will not allow the Fidelity holders to slip in

I first thoutht that it might have been due to the cold (freezing -6C) while making pictures at the coast, but when checking the holders, the reason was obvious.

On the other hand, I must say I'm very happy with the 13x18cm back. It functions as it should.

G

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    At least you built the back for the better of the two holders.

In 4X5 I will only use Riteways.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a similar problem with 5x7" / 13x18cm holders: The Linhof holders are a hoplessly tight fit...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    At least you built the back for the better of the two holders.

In 4X5 I will only use Riteways.
    Jim,

I don't have any problems with the Fidelity holders. Film flatness in 4x5 is not that much of a problem.

In fact I like the Fidelity's more because of the design of the darkslide handles: the handles for pulling the darkslides are offset and you can take it out more easily.
    The metal handles of a Riteway holder are on top of each other and the possibility exist that you lift the holder, and thus creating a light leak, while trying to get hold on the metal puller.

G

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin