Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 740

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Modifying Calumet C400 back

Hi, I want to modify my C400 so that a grafmatic will fit. The only reason it won't, as far as I can tell, is that the leaf springs aren't long enough. I don't have the facilities to work with spring steel, so I'm looking for other ideas. Coil springs can be easily found, but the leaf spring also keeps the moveable part of the back square to the rest of it (i.e. allows movement in one axis only - in or out). Has anybody attempted this modification before?

Before anyone points out the obvious (use a DD, not a grafmatic) the various advantages of the grafmatic have wone me over and I would rather not use DDs at all if I can avoid it.

regards,
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm... Interesting...

Graphmatics fit the 4X5 back for my C-1 just fine. I thought that they used the same GG frame and springs.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is not reason the grafamatic should not fit the C400 back, the grafamatic was designed to be the same thickness as a double sided film holder, and hence should fit the back..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Grafmatic is 1 1/2 times the thickness of a normal film holder. I haven't used my view camera in a long time but I remember that these have quite a long throw on the back and the Grafmatic should fit. If not, do what I do to make it work on a Busch Pressman - put washers under the springs, to shim it out to the proper position.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glennfromwy
    A Grafmatic is 1 1/2 times the thickness of a normal film holder. I haven't used my view camera in a long time but I remember that these have quite a long throw on the back and the Grafmatic should fit. If not, do what I do to make it work on a Busch Pressman - put washers under the springs, to shim it out to the proper position.
    Sorry Glen,

It has been a long time since I used one and I guess in my old age, my memory is failing, I remembered them not being much thicker than a standard film holder..

Back to making glass for me I guess! LOL

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Of Course! I should have thought of simply shimming the springs out further from the back. That should do the trick nicely.

If grafmatics fit under the C-1 back OK, maybe I've ended up with shorter springs.

Anyway, problem solved and many thanks. On to the next project....

Paul

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin