Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,201   Online: 830

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ole, the professional hardware stores here (industri och bygghandel) have imperial nuts and bolts, as well as dies and taps if you want to make your own inserts or drill-out and rethread a metric one. They don't carry things like t-nuts though. Another good local source would be a local branch of a UK car club: I sometimes used to get imperial threaded parts here from the local MG owners club.

I just had a quick look though my favourite suppliers in the UK (both amatuer DIY and lab suppliers like RS components) and you're right, they are all metric now.

McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) will ship internationally and have several sorts of "Tee Nuts" in standard imperial threads.

Surely those Scottish rigs are built with imperial fittings. They won't miss a couple of nuts now will they....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    So does HAMA - at a third of the price, but what I meant is that I can't go into a hardware shop and pick up a dozen 3/8" bolts/bushings/nuts or whatever.
    I shouldn't be entirely impossible; I bought a handful of 1/4"-20 nuts in a local (Oslo) hardware store. Check one of the more old fashioned stores - if you can find one that is - where everything isn't readlily packed in neat small plastic bags...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I have a good need for a few of these - and 3/8" too, and the 1/4" inside - 3/8" outside converters. But all I can find on Europe is metric...
    PM sent
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I am unsure if what we make would work for you, but we do make tripod sockets. They are solid brass and can be mounted flush or recessed into a shallow (.050 x 1.0 inch) counterbore. They are available in 1/4-20 or 3/8-16. They attach with three small flat head screws. Let me know if these will work for you.

Barry Young
    cameramaker.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02545 (200 x 150).jpg   DSC02807a.jpg  
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Or not I guess. Boy, do I know how to kill a thread or what?
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not at all Barry. It's great to know that these sorts of essential but hard to find when you need them parts are available at a known source.

I filed the post even if nobody else did :-)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thank you
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I am sure they could get you one, but their main business is shutters, not tripod threads. Hence I am sure the cost would be prohibitive.

Dave
    S.K. Grimes is a machine shop for photographers and their equipment. While we also service shutters, the majority of our work involves the fabrication of various adapters, bushings, and plates. Samples of our work can be seen at www.skgrimes.com

Tsuyoshi - We would welcome the opportunity to fabricate a tripod bushing to fit your needs.

Adam Dau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin