Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,108   Online: 1070

Thread: Booms?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Booms?

They seem to cost quite a bit for anything worth having. Anybody ever make there own? Using wood? I figure the "boom" bit would sit in a bridle joint with a carriage bolt to pivot on. Clearly the joint wouldn't get glued up and it might help if it was cut a little sloppy for greater clearance. Drill a range of holes down the boom so it can be repositioned. The legs can be over built to what ever the heart wants. 4x4 legs? Add a weight to the end of the boom opposite the light. Easy enough.

Obviously this won't look like a metal boom. It'll be a lot harder to take apart but build it with bolts and it should come apart when needed.

Am I missing some critcal function of a boom?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Might I suggest going considering aluminum tubing for the boom, rather than wood. Lighter, (probably) won't break.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But is weight really an issue? I won't be hiking with it-) I can put wheels underneath it if need be.

I'm thinking the important things are

1) Ease of use

2) Strong enough. Better too strong then not strong enough

3) Easy to build.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    aluminum (got any old tent posts?)
    PVC, look in the plumbing department.

I think that wood is the most likely to crack or split .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They make houses out of wood I'm not too worried about strength. Just make it beefy enough and I could use it for a teeter totter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin